In my old Grand Am GT, one feature I really enjoyed was the traction control system. I had come to learn that, upon reduction of traction, the computer would retard engine timing to reduce power and upshift the transmission - purely a software solution. Of course, this meant that Grand Am GT's only came with an automatic transmission, and stick shift 4 cylinder Grand Am's didn't have traction control.

I wondered how Nissan did it in our Micra's. Assuming our Micra's are simply a re-implementation of existing technology, it appears that the throttle input is reduced (we have an electronic throttle, so the computer makes the throttle behave as though you lifted your foot from the accelerator), and the brakes are applied to all of the wheels.

http://ramseynissan.com/2012/09/13/w...ontrol-systems

Which system is better? It's hard to determine from the technical specs, I'll have to live with my Micra for a winter to answer that question. What I do know is that, in my old car, I could plant the gas pedal to the floor even on ice and snow and the car would work things out in the traction department fairly efficiently without undue wear on my brake pads; the upshift and retarding of engine timing always did the trick. However, the Micra's ability to control the throttle position seems like a better solution than the retarding of engine timing, and will probably mitigate undue wear and tear on the brake pads.

I suppose my desire for the manual transmission makes Nissan's solution the better of the two.