Thread: Weighing a Micra

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Weighing a Micra

Just picked up my first Micra, its a bone stock 2015 SV manual. My plan is to do a bit of auto-crossing with it and reducing overall weight is the easiest (read cheapest) way of improving performance. So I decided to weigh the car as a baseline. Car is completely stock with only the hub caps, 1x heat shield and cargo cover missing (maybe a total of 1 kg lol). Car has cruise control, AC, Bluetooth and backup camera.

My method for weighing is low tech but should be accurate enough. I have two 200kg scales which I placed under one wheel at a time. The other three corners of the car had a spacer under them that was equal in height to the scales + wood. I repeated this at each corner to get the total weight. I didn't have time to level the car, so the left/right or front back balance is completely inaccurate. But after I do some weight removal I will weigh again and take more time to be level.

Name:  IMG_20210520_184209.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  93.1 KB

My SAAQ registration says the cars weight is 1057 kg. I got 1095kg, but this includes a full tank of gasoline which weighs 29.8 kg. So no fuel weights is 1065 kg. So that's a 0.7% error if we assume SAAQ weight is accurate and without gas.

Anyways, will post here how much weight I can get out of this thing. My best guess is taking out the interior behind the driver, losing the spare tire, going to alloy wheels and a couple other things will reduce weight by 20-30kg. I might be able to take a few more kg off by getting rid of the broken AC.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikera For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (05-23-2021)