Thread: New member - Micra SV manual (does the shift quality improve?)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

New member - Micra SV manual (does the shift quality improve?)

Long time tire kicker, signed up for the forum a while back. I was waiting to get a permanent job offer before purchasing a Micra SV 5MT. I test drove it yesterday and just got approved for financing today.

I was surprised in ways and let down in others. The power delivery and acceleration was good, suspension firm (which I like) and the seats are actually very supportive for my frame (6' 175lbs) compared to how bland they look.

I had been considering importing a little kei car but the maintenance is not something I wanted to worry about. Driving the Micra also made me realize it was the smallest size I'd actually want to own. The negatives would be the balky clutch and shifter but maybe it is just because I've never driven a brand new manual transmission? Either way I was not very impressed with it and I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in. Worst case scenario it's under warranty?

For comparison, I currently have a 93 Golf 5MT and 05 RSX 5MT. VW has a smooth but lifeless shifter/gearbox while the Honda has an extremely precise one. The Micra is right in the middle but worse than both. It's honestly the only disappointment I have with the vehicle. Everything else is as expected or better.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and it will be replacing my 93 Golf as a daily driver around town. Someone please tell me it just needs a good breaking in and I wont have buyers remorse!
    Last edited by spacewolf; 06-08-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: formatting