Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micra trailer hitch... and hitch-mounted bike rack

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micra Guy View Post
    I just purchased a new red 2015 Micra that was lost in invintory on a crazy deal.
    Just installed a SRG hitch with 2000 lb towing capacity.

Is the 2000 lbs a joke? Can it really pull that? I have the 5 spd.

The hitch I easily installed myself. As we speak I'm at a sterio place having the harness installed. It's universal.
    I came here as audio places regularly pull interior and hopefully not damage anything lol.
    Hello. Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm about to order the srg hitch, was there any cutting involved with the installation at all? I'm thinking of doing a DIY. Thanks in advance!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No cutting, I also did the the install myself.
    It’s very simple, you’ll also fit underneath without the need to jack the car.

Thanks
    Tow capacity can be tricky, your hitch, Ball, Ball Mount, Vehicle, Tires, Axle will all have a max capacity. My curt hitch on my micra is rated for 1000lbs, my Micra is rated for 2000lbs and a max hitch tongue weight of only 100lbs. So can it pull 2000lbs? yea probably can it do it safely and stop appropriately, I would say no probably not.Name:  20180731_214403.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by SVRally; 08-01-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added photo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SVRally For This Useful Post:

Micra In The Mountains (04-22-2019)

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
    Soooo, with a new baby in the house, I haven't had time to post much. I bought the car as a family hauler, as our regular cab B2300 was getting a little cramped with the 3 of us
    I needed the ability to move bikes as I do most of my commuting via bike and will often ride to meet my wife somewhere, or often ride on the North Shore mountains. Anyway, long story short, thanks to the above link, I went out on a limb and bought this hitch from out of Quebec. This company was GREAT to deal with and fast to deliver, plus only $25 to deliver out to BC. It took me about an hour to install, but nothing too onerous. It is very well concealed. I added the Swagman XTC2 bike rack (also a Canadian company, although the rack is manufactured in China) purchased from MEC. All in all, came to just under $400, but a really nice set up to use. I would recommend getting the Swagman XTC2 over the cheaper XC2, as it has better wheel cradles with straps, as well as an anti-vibration threaded hitch pin. This probably added 60 lbs (!) to the weight of the car.
    Attachment 1369
    Great information, the next modification we're thinking for our Little Guy is a hitch for a bike rack / small pup trailer or fold out tent trailer
    Nice!

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    We're considering one of those Leesure-Lite pop uip trailers built in Osoyoos BC, apparently a motorcycle (cruiser) can tow one of those. About 300 lbs overall weight empty, and about 20 lbs at the tounge:

http://www.leesurelite.com
    Nice!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micra Guy View Post
    No cutting, I also did the the install myself.
    It’s very simple, you’ll also fit underneath without the need to jack the car.
    I got the SRG hitch, and I was preparing for the install, but one of the mounting points is blocked by the plastic apron under the bumper. The instructions say that this could happen, so I was wondering if anyone else here has dealt with it?

Instructions for the SRG Hitch Install: http://www.srgattacheremorque.com/do...ts/10000MT.pdf

Thanks
    did you find a solution? I am looking to install a hitch on my Micra, not sure what to buy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi dani3d... long time no see!

The forum is much quieter than when you were last here. If you don't get a reply, I think there may be a french language Micra Facebook group out there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    We put the Curt hitch on our 2017 to use our 2 bike rack, our bikes are quite light but after two uses the hitch is pointing down dramatically. It has obviously bent the panel it’s mounted to and we are very disappointed. I have bought several Curt hitches and that’s why we decided to save the money vs. the SRG, but I can see now that has a better design. ��

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotTheDogg View Post
    We put the Curt hitch on our 2017 to use our 2 bike rack, our bikes are quite light but after two uses the hitch is pointing down dramatically. It has obviously bent the panel it’s mounted to and we are very disappointed. I have bought several Curt hitches and that’s why we decided to save the money vs. the SRG, but I can see now that has a better design. ��

Have a bit of a similar problem with my curt hitch. It did bend down a bit with a 2 bike rack but not enough so that it is unusable. I do need to be careful going over speed bumps so the bike tires don't rub on them. Curt sells this additional support strap that attaches to the bike rack and the top of the tail gate which should help stabilize and take a bit of weight off the hitch. I just got the strap but haven't tested it out yet. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/18050

As far as the SRG hitch goes, it looks like it suffers from a similar issue. https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post22477
    I contemplated both hitches but went with the curt due to the deal I got on it. Still don't have any regrets getting it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LJ2015 For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (01-08-2023)