Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another New Forum Member

Thanks
    It's an automatic. I've never driven stick/

EDIT: Why is so much blank space left after post we make?

Last edited by Jody Thornton; 10-29-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

Thanks
    EDIT: Why is so much blank space left after post we make?[/QUOTE]

i always wondered that too,i think if you post a short post it still needs a min amount for all the stats on the left, if you write a book,you won't see any blank space !
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    UPDATE: I started up the engine and got a lot of belt squeal, and then saw smoke. Shut it down quickly. The source of the belt squeal and smoke was a seized alternator. A co-worker at Canadian Tire said the alternator could be taken apart, cleaned up and put back into service. If that's true, the hardest part of the job will be taking the alternator out. That's another argument in favour of older cars: more room to work. I can almost climb into the engine bay of my '65 Impala and close the hood.

So, my friend is on his way over, and we are going to try and get the alternator out, and if we do, then I'll run the engine with no ancillaries connected, just so I can let the engine flush do its job.

Thanks
    good lord....every single replaceable component stopped working at that same time...id get an alternator from rockauto..or canadian tire?...lol .yes in theory you could "get the old one going" but its probably not worth the hassle and the brushes and solenoid will be far from new...NEVER heard of an alternator complaint, could you just break it loose by hand?

still interested how you got "old stubby" the vtec actuator out?

your correct about the lack of room...they don't makem like they use to

id say dont run the engine with no alternator.if thats the plan
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 10-29-2023 at 10:28 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post

still interested how you got "old stubby" the vtec actuator out?

I would also like to know!

id say dont run the engine with no alternator.if thats the plan
    Definitely don't do that. It's a good way to destroy your battery if you drain it too far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    I would also like to know!

Definitely don't do that. It's a good way to destroy your battery if you drain it too far.
    I only need to run it for 5 minutes for an engine flush so I can change the oil. And the battery is on its way out anyway.

Thanks
    To get the remains of the old VVT solenoid out, first I pulled out the piston that's inside of it. Then I took a rod slightly thicker than a wire coat hanger, and fashioned a hook to hook onto the solenoid inside. The other end was stuck straight out the grille, and I had my son pull with about 10 pounds of pressure while I used a hammer and flathead screwdriver to put torsional force on it while my son pulled out. Had it out in about 2 minutes. Another 5 minutes later, the new one was installed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearjammer63 For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (10-30-2023)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's refreshing to hear your honest take on the Micra. While it seems like you've encountered some challenges with aspects like fuel efficiency, wind resistance, and suspension comfort, your appreciation for the car's unique qualities shines through. It's fascinating how individual preferences and priorities can vary when it comes to choosing a vehicle.

Your emphasis on the spaciousness, headroom, and the satisfying "thunk" of the doors add a personal touch to your experience. It's also reassuring that you've found a solution to the suspension issue by switching to softer riding Continentals. It's these little details that can make a significant difference in day-to-day satisfaction with a car.

It's interesting to note your observation about the availability of spare parts, providing a practical consideration for potential future maintenance needs. Your overall positive sentiment, even with the acknowledged quirks, suggests that the Micra has won you over with its unique charm and value for money.

Thanks for sharing your perspective; it's always valuable for others considering a similar choice in the car market. Happy driving!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ornategreedy For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-26-2023)