Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another New Forum Member

Thanks

Another New Forum Member

Hi, everyone.
    I discovered this forum completely by accident while looking for a service-and-repair manual for my wife's 2015 Micra. I hate to be a Debby-Downer, but I am not the least impressed with this car. It has been more trouble than it's worth since the warranty expired, to say nothing of the fact that someone at the Nissan dealership in a nearby town broke the rear mount for the right-side headlight assembly (and denied it!), and a replacement cost $500 plus labour to install, and it isn't even a genuine Nissan part.
    Now what I need to do is change the VVT solenoid ($407 at the Nissan dealership, and on back order), but I can't put the new one in until I can get what's left of the old one out. It broke while I was trying to extract it, and seems to have rusted in place. Has anyone got any ideas?
    Also, I think I need to repair or replace the transmission cooling line, as the car dumped all of its transmission fluid on my driveway.
    I need to get this done soon, as I'm going to need to do some work on my 2010 Toyota Matrix (I only have THAT car because you don't say no to a free car, but it's a far nicer car to drive than the Micra). How I miss my 2002 VW Jetta TDI! That car had me spoiled for most others.
    I am a resident of Carleton Place, Ontario, by the way.
    Cheers, everyone!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearjammer63 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-24-2023)

Thanks
    Welcome aboard!......Hope you get things sorted soon. While my Micra is a lot newer, 2019, a demo bought in Jan 2021.....Ive only had one problem with it....the left rear turn signal bulb burnt out. Its been simply routine maintenance so far.
    Last edited by HammyJ; 10-25-2023 at 05:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.0 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    ok...you have some known issues with the VVT solenoid...gezus if it actually broke off, my only suggestion would be vicegrips...genuine not knockoffs .....solenoid is pretty cheap on aliexpress .trans line...could be anything, rock, NOT a trans line?....
    the car is pretty cheaply built so cut it a bit of slack...but we will offer what advice we have.
    my headlights burnt out within 2 months of owning the car...geeezus!

welcome...sit down...take a deep breath. its really an awesome car...it was the car i always wanted!

HOW broke is the VVT...pics?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-25-2023)

Thanks

VVT Woes

Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    ok...you have some known issues with the VVT solenoid...gezus if it actually broke off, my only suggestion would be vicegrips...genuine not knockoffs .....solenoid is pretty cheap on aliexpress .trans line...could be anything, rock, NOT a trans line?....
    the car is pretty cheaply built so cut it a bit of slack...but we will offer what advice we have.

welcome...sit down...take a deep breath. its really an awesome car...it was the car i always wanted!

Let me start by telling you that the fact that it's cheaply built is one of my issues with the car.

I don't have the part that broke off. I think it's somewhere in my friend's garage. I just got a new one from Smiths Falls Nissan for $402.36 plus tax. NAPA quoted me $475. I know I could have gotten one cheaper elsewhere, like Amazon, but being a critical engine part, I thought it wise not to cheap out on it, especially since it is my wife's beloved car, and if the part failed because it was a cheap knock-off, I would have never heard the end of it.

Also, I absolutely refuse to deal with Ali Express, because it is a China-based retailer, and I don't deal with China at all if I can avoid it. The Chinese are well known for flooding the world market with cheap, inferior products, but who can blame them when the rest of the world seems glad to buy them, throw them out when they fail, and buy them again?

In nine years of ownership, I haven't had to change a single bulb, except, if I remember correctly, one headlight bulb.

I've always liked the tight steering radius, and the power steering, and the Bluetooth stereo. But other than that, I've never really liked the car. My biggest problem with it is that it's too small for my taste. I've never liked subcompacts, mainly because I've always liked big cars, ever since I became a full-fledged car guy as a child in the late '60s. I don't suffer tailgaters very well, and that's just not enough metal between me and the person behind me who's following too close on highway 7.

I drove a 2002 VW Jetta TDI for 19 years and over 600,000 km. When that car was nearing the end of its useful life in 2021, my parents offered me their 2010 Toyota Matrix with only 180,000 km on it. The only reason I have that car is because you don't say no to a free car. It's not a car I would have bought. But my kids, and my daughter's boyfriend, have driven both the Matrix and the Micra, and all three preferred the Matrix, in part because it's a bigger car.

When it comes time to replace the Matrix, I'll be looking for a mid-size or full-size, rear-wheel-drive Ford or GM from the late '70s to the mid-'80s. No more modern cars for me. I'm semi-retired now, so I only leave Carleton Place about once a week now, so gas mileage is not a great concern. And if something goes wrong with, say for example, a 1979 Ford Granada, I can most likely fix it myself, and parts are still cheap and easy to find, except body and trim parts.

I know, I've yammered on for a long time about stuff outside the scope of this forum, and I'm sorry about that, but it gives you more insight into who I am.

I joined this forum not because I am an enthusiast of the Nissan Micra, but because I need help from experienced owners on repairs for my wife's car.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearjammer63 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-28-2023)

Thanks

VVT Woes

Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post

Name:  20231028_102837[1].jpg
Views: 138
Size:  104.2 KB

Here's a picture of what's left of the VVT solenoid, if it uploaded.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearjammer63 For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (10-28-2023)

Thanks
    The car is definately not for everyone. I only bought it because it was all I could afford in a near new vehicle still under warranty. I find it gobbles a bit too much gas in city driving, and tends to be buffeted in high winds, and yes, my ass and back are sometime sore from a suspension that isnt the most supple(improved since changing the stock Firestones to softer riding Continentals) and the steering is vague at times, and the tranny motorboats on occasion.....but I love the spaciousness and headroom in my Micra that blows many larger cars out of the water. I also like the almost Teutonic thunk of the doors when being closed......again, a sound that many larger and more expensive cars lack. I know there are many,many spare parts at the wreckers when it comes time to replace key items. Given that the car is still being made in Mexico with this 10 year old plus design(albeit with some cosmetic changes) I think gives testimony that overall, its still a pretty good little car for the money. Didnt think Id ever fall in love with another car after my Honda Element, but indeed I have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.0 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    The car is definately not for everyone. I only bought it because it was all I could afford in a near new vehicle still under warranty. I find it gobbles a bit too much gas in city driving, and tends to be buffeted in high winds, and yes, my ass and back are sometime sore from a suspension that isnt the most supple(improved since changing the stock Firestones to softer riding Continentals) and the steering is vague at times, and the tranny motorboats on occasion.....but I love the spaciousness and headroom in my Micra that blows many larger cars out of the water. I also like the almost Teutonic thunk of the doors when being closed......again, a sound that many larger and more expensive cars lack. I know there are many,many spare parts at the wreckers when it comes time to replace key items. Given that the car is still being made in Mexico with this 10 year old plus design(albeit with some cosmetic changes) I think gives testimony that overall, its still a pretty good little car for the money. Didnt think Id ever fall in love with another car after my Honda Element, but indeed I have.
    Hey, Hammy.

I got the old part out and the new part in. Now I'm going out to buy oil and a filter, and some engine flush. I'll run the engine with the flush, and then change the oil.

I find it's better on gas than my Matrix, but only marginally, and the Matrix's gas mileage is disappointing at 32mpg, but that may be because I got used to 47mpg or better with a diesel Jetta for 19 years.

Speaking of doors, the driver's side door on our Micra has been sagging for a number of years now, and a new hinge is required. I'll get one from Kenny U-Pull someday.

Next is the tranny fluid leak.

Stay tuned...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearjammer63 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-28-2023)

Thanks
    So far, I'm loving the car. but I do have to ask. Just why does it drive so inefficiently, gas-wise in the city? I find that going 50 km/h on a city street is an RPM and gas killer, with the RPMs at that speed going to 2000 rpm. I always bump it up to 55 km/h just so it revs down to 1500 rpm.

The other morrning I was up early and went for a little ride while there was no traffic, through the countryside of north Markham and Stouffville. I drove Bloomington Road eastbound from Bayview to Markham Road, with cruise control set to just above 60 kn/h, and the RPMs steady at 1,500. I got great mileage through that stretch, hardly ever stopping.
    Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jody Thornton For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-28-2023)

Thanks
    Does your Micra have an automatic transmission?......If not for a bum left leg, Id probably have opted for a manual transmission.....more fun, and much better gas mileage it seems in city driving of the members here who post their gas mileages. Ive tried everything I know to improve my in town gas mileage....with little effect.....Im happy now if I get 30 mpg in town.

Thanks
    yikes...dat BROKE!..thanks for the pic.how did you get it out.?..in case i need that knowledge.....i have friends that SWEAR by their totally uncool matrix!

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!