Thread: Slow/longer than normal start time

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Slow/longer than normal start time

Sorry not sure how to properly describe the problem in the title but here are the details:

My '17 Micra SV has begun to take a bit longer to crank(have to hold the key a second or two longer than usual). This is on the first start in the morning or like, end of day after work it will do it again.

If I start it, the drive and turn it off to run in a store, it has no issue when I come out, even 30-45 minutes later.

It's only after it's been off for some time.

It will also rev up around 1500-2000 for a couple minutes after the longer starts, but with a "normal" start it only revs at 900-1000.

I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to "reset" the cars computer, I've also put some seafoam in the tank to clean things a bit.

85000KM on it.

Originally I thought it was the cooler mornings we had been having, but now that it's warmed back up to 20C+ during the day again it still seems to be present.

Thanks
    hmmmmmm....so no codes ?

first thoughts is car thinks its stone cold all the time.

many OBD II scanners not only scan for codes but can read the sensor outputs in real time and to a knowledgeable person the data can be helpful

i would get a obdii tool......50 dollars ?

i dont think mine stone, stone cold revs that high .........ever....did it always do that???

https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...le&type=search

i think i got the 59.99 one and its not bad....but igot mine off ebay...may not be that EXACT model
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 08-22-2023 at 11:11 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    My mechanic said it sounds like a check valve issue.

Thanks
    he might be a genius ....but WHAT check valve ?....we have PCV valves (i think) thats the ONLY "check valve"..i would get a code scanner...its a good investment for 50 bucks

did it ALWAYS rev that high?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Check valve is in the fuel line I guess. It keeps the fuel from running back into the tank, essentially keeps the line from running dry.

Thanks
    ...to my knowledge there is no "check valve" in the high pressure fuel system to ensure pressure loss of the sealed system . please provide location of check valve

did it ALWAYS rev that high?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    I'm not sure how it all works. Perhaps it doesn't have one? He's not overly familiar with Nissan's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpalindat View Post
    I'm not sure how it all works. Perhaps it doesn't have one? He's not overly familiar with Nissan's
    get scan tool

get better mechanic

or live with it ?

it doesnt sound likeit will leave u stranded

sometimes (1 a month) mine has to take a 2nd try at starting , but it always does without exessive cranking
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpalindat View Post
    Sorry not sure how to properly describe the problem in the title but here are the details:

My '17 Micra SV has begun to take a bit longer to crank(have to hold the key a second or two longer than usual). This is on the first start in the morning or like, end of day after work it will do it again.

If I start it, the drive and turn it off to run in a store, it has no issue when I come out, even 30-45 minutes later.

It's only after it's been off for some time.

It will also rev up around 1500-2000 for a couple minutes after the longer starts, but with a "normal" start it only revs at 900-1000.
    Exactly the same issue I had with the 1999 Toyota Camry I dumped, before this Micra. I usually would go around the side streets to almost let the car "rev down". The sheer overactivity of the car basically moved it along up to as much as 30 km/h, without gas (well... extra gas). Once it started to rev down, I could start and speed up properly.

Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario