Thread: Emergency Brake Light on Dashboard

Thanks

Emergency Brake Light on Dashboard

For the past couple of weeks, this light has come on 5 or 6 times while driving. OF COURSE, my emergency brake is not on, and if I simply touch the emergency brake handle, or give it a little wiggle, the light (and beeper) go off. Internet said it could be low brake fluid, but I took it to Kal-Tire today and they said the brake fluid was fine. The mechanic thought that something might have slipped down the sometime loose flap in the passenger compartment (like some crumbs from a bran muffin or???? and compacted in the mechanism.

Because this is happening only every third day or so, and stops immediately I touch the emergency brake handle, should I worry about it (that is, take it into the dealer)??? Thanks for any advice.

2015 Micra doing great otherwise. Was up to 140 (not deliberately, just ended up there) on the TransCanada Banff to Kamloops last week. Didn't want to stay at that speed, but can do it if necessary. 72,000 kms on this vehicle now.

ALSO - just a little story. The original car battery died about 3 months after I got the car in October 2014. I am still on the replacement battery they installed -- and every time I have the oil changed, I have the battery checked and it is A-OK. Surprising.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    there is a switch on the actual handle mechanism,i think the compacted bran muffin is an accurate assessment. i would say its not an immediate safety concern,more of an annoyance.I would AGGRESSIVELY put the handbrake on and off for maybe 10 cycles....press the button in to save the ratchet...like really try and crank it UP ...option 2, blow compressed air in the flap....long shot. I'm on my original 2015 dealer battery, BUT i use the block heater all year long AND i purchased an emergency jump battery booster i carry (in the car,not on me)....you should replace battery with Costco battery every 8 years if your smart........"testing" a battery is hard and i doubt they do an actual load test ...over 40 years of owning cars,that's what i came up with!...i just replaced my wife's 2015 Honda battery as preemptive strike
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 06-20-2023 at 11:58 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, now, I seem to recall fiddling with the loose cover that covers the parking brake and dropping something into that area below. Maybe that is the issue? Might have been a bottle cap? I really can't remember, so maybe that is the cause of the light coming on. I guess there is no way to look without destroying that "cover.". :-(

But I have driven the car 2000 km since then so hopefully no terrible damage. Fingers crossed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That could be whats shorting out the contacts....taking the whole console off is not that difficult, or put another way,loosening up the console by removing maybe 4 screws may allow enough clearance to remove bottle cap, i tapped into the cigarette lighter wiring by doing that..i dont THINK the "cover" is easily removable but its pretty bendy, id try and get the bottle out, if it gets stuck in ratchet mechanism brake may not release all the way...maybe that's whats happening, i doubt the brakes are actually dragging, it just might not be allowing the lever to fully go down....97 percent down,that's PROBABLY more likely that an actual electrical short by the bottle-cap or muffin blob. You might be able to loosen 2 screws in front and pop up the back part and that would be enough
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 06-21-2023 at 06:07 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Looks easy enough. ha ha ha

I'll print your diagrams and have a look on the weekend.

Thanks.

Thanks
    just uscrew the 2 front screws and pop the back 2 up, i think youll have enough wiggle room to get what fell in out, but the whole console will not remove (dont unsrew shift knob or unscrew brake stuff)
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    just uscrew the 2 front screws and pop the back 2 up, i think youll have enough wiggle room to get what fell in out, but the whole console will not remove (dont unsrew shift knob or unscrew brake stuff)
    Did this today (as I mentioned on another thread). I found a peanut. I am going to reach around again tomorrow and see if there is anything else there. Thanks.

Thanks
    squirrel.!.(as mentioned on another thread) pleased it worked out...to be honest i never bolted mine back in, so i can access it pretty easy....you might just want to keep the bolts,but not put them back,console wiggles a bit but its NOT a problem
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    squirrel.!.(as mentioned on another thread) pleased it worked out...to be honest i never bolted mine back in, so i can access it pretty easy....you might just want to keep the bolts,but not put them back,console wiggles a bit but its NOT a problem
    Great minds think alike. Exactly what I have, or rather, have not, done.