Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new Nissan for us!

Thanks
    that's about right for the Versa at that speed. Year and a half in and the front sway bar bushings have been the only issues (other than someone hitting it in a parking lot!)

Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20170408_144544644.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  91.6 KB
    So we finally took the Versa out for a good, proper road trip this past weekend. As you can see, the engine RPM's are considerably lower at cruising speeds. However, with three adults in the car, the RPM's were quick to rise up to Micra-like levels whenever we were on an incline on the highway.

When accelerating, there is no jerk as the transmission punches down to a lower gear; instead, the transition is smooth, which I felt made for a better overall experience for everyone in the car. Also, it's significantly quieter than the Micra. Even as the engine spooled up, the sound deadening material in the car helped to keep the noise down. Another thing that really helped at cruising speeds was the Versa's better aerodynamics really cut down on the wind noise.

Even though the seats appear to be the same as those in the Micra, they were more comfortable to sit in for extended periods of time. My mother-in-law really appreciated the center arm rest in the back seat, as well as how easy it was to get into and out of. Honestly, calling shotgun may not give you a better seat in the car.

The speedo seems much closer to reality than that in the Micra. Passing speed signs showed a registered speed that was either dead on or within a kilometer per hour of my actual speed, I was overtaking tractor trailers in the passing lane easily without anyone tailgating me at 120, and I didn't have them overtaking me at 110.

I really do like the CVT. When I push the button at the side, it has the same effect as downshifting for maintaining my speed down hills. When I shift it into low, acceleration from a stop is more spirited. When I hit the brakes, I really notice that the CVT helps by providing engine braking. I honestly don't understand why someone would want a traditional automatic transmission.

Overall, excellent value. I can understand why someone would opt for a Versa Note over a Micra. With the new 2017 Micra becoming longer and wider, I wonder if it would be that much different from what the Versa Note is today.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Except that the next Note will probably also grow in size. That seems to be the way things work.

As for the CVT, durability is a concern compared to a tried-and-true slushbox with a lock-up torque converter. Wariness about CVT's is Nissan's own fault: they built a bunch of crappy transmissions years ago and had to offer an extended warranty to calm fears.

Fortunately, the JATCO CVT-7 in the Note is a newer design, and I believe they're holding up just fine. We'd know about it otherwise, considering how many cars use it (Versa Note/sedan, Chevy Spark, Mitsu Mirage, to name a few).

I'm with you: I also love the low RPM operation of a CVT under light load. Makes for more relaxed driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    As luck would have it my rental car in Phoenix is an almost new Nissan Versa. A couple of things I'm not too thrilled about driving it are: I cannot see the hood at all from the drivers seat which makes parking next to a pole etc. tricky. At a stoplight the car really wants to keep moving so I have to keep firm pressure on the brake pedal or use the ebrake & give it an extra click to stop the car from driving into the car in front of me. This is with the AC ON so idle speed may be higher, with it turned OFF it might not be so bad.
    If you drive really carefully you hardly notice the CVT until you push the throttle harder & then it starts doing the CVT rev up thing.
    On a freeway on ramp the the engine would rev up then "shift" down & bog the engine then rev up again, kind of distracting when trying to enter a busy 8 lane highway.

Thanks
    Sedan or Note?

If you drive really carefully you hardly notice the CVT until you push the throttle harder & then it starts doing the CVT rev up thing.
    Which is why most auto reviewers hate CVT's, because driving gently is not to be found anywhere in their DNA. So they don't experience the quiet & relaxed nature of the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Its a Note and so new it still has most of the Mexico factory stickers over the door gaps in place.
    I do like the steering wheel mounted trip computer controls & the rear hatch handle/cutout compared to my Micra.
    I am getting pretty good gas mileage with mostly highway use (display is showing US miles per gallon)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    That's decent! 39 mpg US = 6 L/100 km