Thread: Micra helps make a birch bark canoe!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Micra helps make a birch bark canoe!

Anybody remember this pic?

(From thread: DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal &nbsp

2 summers ago, I helped a retired friend strip birch bark from a ~50 foot tree that a farmer had cut down (farmer was thinning trees out of his sugar maple grove).

This happened to be during the week when Nissan had loaned me a Micra SR automatic, so I took the opportunity to put it to work!

(And in case you're wondering, the load was very light (maybe 30 lbs), and very secure. I just had to be careful when making tight turns with such a long tail. )

Well, my friend has finally been working on his canoe this fall/winter. It's coming along nicely:

Name:  $$$canoe2.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  $$$canoe1.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  94.0 KB

It's being made with all natural ingredients: bark, spruce root for the stitching, cedar gunnels & ribs, spruce gum boiled with fat to be used as the sealant.

There's enough bark left over that I could make one for myself, but I've got so many projects lined up I'm not sure if I'm going to take it on. We'll see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Howie (01-08-2016),IMPUL (01-09-2016),Pete (09-06-2016),ptbo micra (01-07-2016)