Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal

Thanks

DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal

Name:  cargo-micra.jpg
Views: 24583
Size:  36.6 KB

As promised in the review notes of the SR Micra automatic that Nissan loaned me, here are instructions for converting your Micra into more of a cargo hauler.

---

I know a carpenter whose work truck used to be his 1996 Geo Metro, proving you can fit a surprising amount of stuff into a little hatchback. (AlphaMicra has already demonstrated this several times with his Micra.)

Unfortunately, we're not quite as lucky as Euro Micra owners, whose cars have "fold AND flip" rear seats that make it possible to configure the cargo area in more useful ways than our simple folding seat backs.

But for lots more Micra cargo space, you can take out the rear seat entirely. It's not difficult -- I've owned lots of small hatchbacks, and this is something I've done to every one of them at some point or another to stuff in the maximum amount of stuff.

Here's how:

1. Remove the rear seat cushion

This is pretty easy. It's held in place at the front by two clips, and at the rear simply from being tucked underneath the seat back.

Name:  cargo-cushion-lifting-point.jpg
Views: 21856
Size:  60.8 KB

To release the cushion tabs from their clips, tug straight upward sharply -- roughly in the center of the two outside seating positions.

NOTE: some owners have found the above directions difficult. Here's an alternate method:

Quote Originally Posted by Big black bear View Post
    I found it easier, for me, to take first the back end [of the cushion] out by lifting up. Then, standing outside the car, with the door opened, from the each side (both front and back of the cushion in the same time using both hands), pushing the cushion from the bottom up. Using the metal stand as a support for my hands. It took a big push, but I didn't damage anything.
    Name:  cargo-cushion-2-tabs.jpg
Views: 20546
Size:  32.6 KB

(Shows the two metal tabs on the bottom of the cushion.)

Once the leading edge is loose, pull it forward to "un-tuck" it from the rear seat back.

Remove the cushion through a side door.

Name:  cargo-cushion-clasps.jpg
Views: 28471
Size:  65.3 KB

(Shows detail of the plastic clips that hold the metal tabs.)

2. Remove six bolts for the seat back

(Sorry, I forgot to write down the bolt size.)

Name:  cargo-bolts.jpg
Views: 21703
Size:  46.9 KB

Remove these, except just loosen and leave the opposite two outer bolts in place for last.

3. Remove rear 60/40 seat back

Best done with two people.

This part can be tricky because of the 60/40 split sections. It's a bit like handling a heavy, wet noodle that has sharp metal protrusions (the hinges that bolt to the floor) which will scratch up your Micra if you're not careful!

It will help if the person on the "40%" side grasps the top of the seat back at the 60/40 divide with one hand to prevent the two sections from flopping in different directions.

Name:  cargo-floppy.jpg
Views: 19564
Size:  32.4 KB

Remove the last two outer bolts, release the two "fold down" latches and lift the seatback out the side door toward the "40%" side.

4. Cargo! Cargo! Cargo!

Name:  cargo-cargo-cargo.jpg
Views: 25398
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  cargo-cargo.jpg
Views: 29065
Size:  63.0 KB

Reinstallation is the opposite of removal.

---

Another reason some people may remove the rear seat is for weight reduction. Track day? Marginally better fuel economy? More cargo space? It's all the same.

I didn't weigh the two seat sections. The lower cushion doesn't weigh much at all (5 lbs?); the 60/40 seat back is quite a bit heavier though.

For ultimate cargo space, you could take out the front passenger seat as well.

Enjoy your Cargo Micra!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (07-30-2014),Big black bear (05-23-2020),Daox (07-30-2014),IMPUL (03-30-2021),lone wolf (01-20-2022),Plutus (02-15-2022),Vaszya (03-28-2021)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nice write up Darin. It had a few more bolts than I suspected, but I guess that is probably because of the 60/40 seats. Most of the cars without that only have 2 bolts holding them in.

Thanks
    Thanks! There were more bolts than I expected, too. I suspect it's because the rear bar across the base of the seat back (where the hinges are attached) also contains the child seat anchors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (03-30-2021)

Thanks
    Oh, and if you removed the passenger seat, you could turn the Micra into a "micro-RV" by building a little deck that's level with the rear floor, and putting padding on it for sleeping.

I know a musician who played gigs all over eastern Ontario/western Quebec, and he did just that with his little hatchback. He'd find somewhere quiet to park after the show, turn in for the night and make the return trip in the morning.

Thanks

Part 2 ...

Part 2: Micra Pickup Truck

I had the opportunity to pick up a light but long load while I was driving the Micra -- birch bark for a canoe:

The handy child seat anchors in the cargo area (at the base of the seatback) are perfect attachment points for a ratchet strap:

Name:  micra-cargo-ladder-attachme.jpg
Views: 23092
Size:  91.5 KB

An aluminum ladder makes for a good "extended load deck" out the back -- in this case an 8-ft ladder. With the bottom end on the folded seatback and some padding under the middle where it rests on the hatchback opening:

Name:  micra-cargo-ladder-full.jpg
Views: 21014
Size:  79.7 KB

Cinch the ladder down hard, and it's remarkably secure. I could stand on the outside end. And using a ladder as your load deck gives you lots of options for tie-down points for whatever you're lugging.

Of course if you're going to be carrying anything with actual bulk (say, heavier than birch bark), you might also want to secure the ladder so the outside part can't move side-to-side.

And don't forget your bright red flag on the end of your load.

Thanks
    Yes, do not forget bright red flag, comrade...and please don't let it drag on the ground.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

patty (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    No politics, please!

(Seriously... no politics!)

Thanks
    Oh man.. We need to start a "wierd things stuffed in a micra" post. My eyes bugged out seeing the tree in there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    No politics, please!

(Seriously... no politics!)
    Okay...no red flag, then?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That looks good, and seems relatively simple to do! Myself and one buddy are going on a road trip in my Micra during the summer. This is a good idea because I could possibly throw a foldable sheet of plywood or some thin flat surface to lay back there, throw a mattress on top of it and when I go to sleep in it, just get a tarp or something to wrap around the open hatch and protruding makeshift Micra bed! Congrats, I just turned my Micra into a Micro camper/RV!