Thread: Retro-fitting OEM cruise control to 2011 MY car

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Retro-fitting OEM cruise control to 2011 MY car

Hi guys; . . .

My wife just bought a 2011 Micra; great little car w/ only 23,500 km.

There is one thing that bugs me about it though; having just got back from a 100 km highway drive I find the lack of cruise control a real PITA. Australian market K13s only got Cruise with the < 2015? > face-lift.

Question:
    Is there a way to retro fit the OEM* cruise-control hardware (stalk, wheel, harness, etc) to the car?

AFAIK these cars have an electronic accelerator so there's a good chance the looms are pre-configured for Cruise as I'm fairly sure Cruise was offered as an option in other markets (Japan definitely) from the very start.

What I really need is a decent online exploded parts diagram website for Nissans (like ToyoDIY.com) plus an online wiring schematic + Service / Repair manual. I found & downloaded a 2010-17 PDF manual from < Country? > but it didn't include the 1.5 HR15DE engine which obviously wasn't offered in that market.

* PS: I don't want to fit an aftermarket Rostra etc unit if I can avoid it. Aside from the cost < Ebay kits ~ AUD $650); Rostra's stalk & switch designs are stuck in the 1970s.

Thanks
    Hi GeeEss64

I'm not aware of anyone adding the factory cruise option to the Micra.

I have seen people do this to other cars, though. In some (lucky) cases, all that's required is the factory switch -- and the wiring harness connector is sitting there waiting for it.

In other cases (eg. Mitsubishi Mirage), the car may need additional hardware like a clutch switch (which cancels cruise if the pedal is depressed). That car also requires a setting changed in the car's computer, which can only be done with a special cable & software.

I'd recommend having a look through the U.S.-based Nissan Versa forum. It's more likely to have an answer, and the car is based on exactly the same platform and drivetrain as our Micra (though not the same drivetrain as your Aussie Micra).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi Metro. . .

Thanks for getting back; appreciate the reply. .

I located a < China/Taiwan > vendor selling the OEM type Audio / Cruise steering wheel switch (~ USD $47 IIRC) but haven't proceeded with purchase as I wanted to see if the ECU & body harness part numbers were the same for 1.5L cars equipped with / without cruise control.

This task is complicated by the fact that all 2010-2013 Aussie market Micras were built in Indonesia with either a 1.2 or 1.5 engine & no cruise-control option. From 2013 on AU market cars were built in Thailand but only came with a 1.2 L (HR12DE) and still had no cruise-control; which was only made available from the 2014 face-lift on-wards.

Body harness P/Ns for my 2011 1.5L car versus 2015 1.2L with cruise-control are different but that doesn't tell me anything definitive as the engines are different.

** Have not been able to find a parts list or wiring schematic for a upper spec (JDM?) 1.5L car with CC but even if the Body harness P/Ns are different this wouldn't bother me - as long as I know how the OE cruise control was wired.

That said what I'd REALLY like is a wiring diagram for an upper spec 1.5 L HR15DE engined car with cruise-control; preferably RHD (but not mandatory as this engine was also specced for LHD markets in Asia & South America).

If you know a relevant site that would be great...I've done a fair bit of searching online but have not as yet located a wiring schematic for a RHD (or ftm LHD) upper-spec 1.5 Micra / March.

PS: AFAIK the Japan-only Nissan March Nismo-S; should fit the bill as it runs the HR15DE & being a premium trim grade JDM car; should be specced with cruise-control.
    Last edited by GeeEss64; 11-06-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    I take it the Aussie Micra forum doesn't have any answers? I was pretty sure there were one or two active .au sites when we started this one for the Canadian market car. (Which is HR16DE only, which I suspect you already know.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    TBH I can't say for sure as I only came here after leaving a couple of (non-answered) messages on a local Micra Facebook page.

I guess I should have another look to see if there are any other local forums I can get any answers from before posting Qs to you guys.

Thanks again for your time.

Thanks
    Fitted the CC buttons (they come in a bundle with the audio controls, so both sides of the wheel must be changed). However the CC is not working other than the Leds which light up on the control buttons themselves.

Might require a programming/enabling on the BCM, but didn't got around it. Could not find anyone with a Nissan diagnostic and the dealership people were not willing to learn new stuff and experiment on my car.

If anyone got further than this stage, please share how you got yours enabled.

Mine is a 2012 automatic 1.2