Thread: RECENTLY DRIVEN 2015 Nissan Micra SR review (Automobile Protection Agency - APA)

Thanks

RECENTLY DRIVEN 2015 Nissan Micra SR review (Automobile Protection Agency - APA)

Name:  apa.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  63.2 KB

Here's a somewhat emotionless, no-nonsense review of the car. Of the ~50 Micra reviews I've read/viewed to date, this one is easily the most thorough, and also contains the most criticism.

Some of it I'd disagree with, too.

- competes well on performance & refinement against its closest rivals (Spark, Mirage)
    - competes well on price against others (Yaris, Accent)
    - "solid, flexible, relaxed" engine in normal use
    - turning circle
    - good ride/handling balance
    - outward vision
    - simple, easy to use controls

Dislikes:

- plain styling "retro"
    - engine gets "coarse" at higher revs
    - gearing is too low with the auto, and even worse with the manual
    - imprecise clutch and gearchange of the manual [Really?? I thought it was decent.]
    - steering lacks feel [Again, really???]
    - ABS comes on too soon in emergency braking
    - "fuel economy is unimpressive for so small a car" (they reported 8.5 L/100 km in mixed use)
    - lack of telescoping steering
    - seat padding was comfortable, but rake adjustment too coarse & headrest angle intrusive for some

The reviewer also made an interesting comment on the $3,300 jump in price to go from the manual S to the S with auto & air:

Adding automatic transmission, which is packaged with air-conditioning and cruise control, brings the price of the S up to $13,298, which is about $1000 more expensive than the value of the additional equipment.
    Overall:

With an unintentionally retro style and tidy, yet uninvolving handling, the Micra will appeal to a value-oriented buyer who wants a nicely equipped, sufficiently quick, acceptably refined, functional new car at a knock-down price.

... the $14,698 SV with automatic represents a tremendous value proposition for a new car.
    Read the full review, see photos: http://www.apa.ca/RecentlyDriven2015NissanMicraSR.asp

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I find the steering only lacks feel at super slow speeds.

Notice the line right under the pic, ''bulge in rear roof panel increases head room for rear passengers'' ?

This is something I keep forgetting to gripe about...I wish the designers had let the roof line flow naturally off the back end of car. Would look much better and better aero too. And anyone in the back seat, big enough to bump his head while copping a free ride... can get his own freaking car if he doesn't like it
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    With ever tightening fuel economy rules, I bet the next gen Micra will have a more aero-optimized roofline.

Although, then people will also complain about the smaller rear window/rear view. (In addition to the lost headroom.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    With ever tightening fuel economy rules, I bet the next gen Micra will have a more aero-optimized roofline.

Although, then people will also complain about the smaller rear window/rear view. (In addition to the lost headroom.)
    Yep, but those people don't know Franco's (Enzo) first rule of Italian driving!

And with regards to styling...they better be careful not to mess it up like so many others are doing/have done.

Beetle...now looks like it has been squashed.
    MINI...somewhat of a misnomer for 2015
    Miata 3rd gen...they gathered up the rag top in one hand, stuck their finger in, and blew hard.
    New Yaris...cheeky stylin' becomes middle age butt ugly.

I could go on!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see where they go with the Micra. I wouldn't call its design history "evolutionary" -- it tends to jump around.

And agreed: the Yaris refresh is silly looking.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What is the big deal about telescoping steering wheels? Is it really THAT necessary? I've never had a car with one. Am I missing out on something AMAZING??? On the least expensive car in Canada, you'd think that they wouldn't complain about stuff like that. I don't miss it (though I admittedly don't know what I'm missing).

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    What is the big deal about telescoping steering wheels? Is it really THAT necessary? I've never had a car with one. Am I missing out on something AMAZING??? On the least expensive car in Canada, you'd think that they wouldn't complain about stuff like that. I don't miss it (though I admittedly don't know what I'm missing).
    I have to agree! What is the big deal with it in such a small car!? Seems more of a novelty.

Thanks
    I don't think I've had telescopic steering in any car I've owned either.