Thread: 2019 Micra S steering wheel button help...please

Thanks

2019 Micra S steering wheel button help...please

After having my stock deck replaced just recently,the installer was able to give me only the volume control button back on the steering wheel.They used a metra axxess ASWC universal module.I understand after reading a couple threads recently that the Blue Tooth module under the passenger seat should have a modification done to the wire harness in order to be able to reprogram the other steering wheel controls.I read the thread on this however I require further explaination.I have to explain to the installer exactly what to do but I don't understand about the modification.I think the yellow wire on the wire harness on the BT module gets cut and I am not sure what to do next.The deck is a Pioneer AVh2550 that interfaces with Android auto or Apple car play.This installer I am using is unfamilar with Micras steering controls....as are most installers I spoke with trying to fix the glitch.

.I got that much understood.Can someone explain what comes next in order to reprogram the steering wheel buttons.

Last edited by Robert; 06-06-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    After having my stock deck replaced just recently,the installer was able to give me only the volume control button back on the steering wheel.They used a metra axxess ASWC universal module.I understand after reading a couple threads recently that the Blue Tooth module under the passenger seat should have a modification done to the wire harness in order to be able to reprogram the other steering wheel controls.I read the thread on this however I require further explaination.I have to explain to the installer exactly what to do but I don't understand about the modification.I think the yellow wire on the wire harness on the BT module gets cut and I am not sure what to do next.The deck is a Pioneer AVh2550 that interfaces with Android auto or Apple car play.This installer I am using is unfamilar with Micras steering controls....as are most installers I spoke with trying to fix the glitch.

.I got that much understood.Can someone explain what comes next in order to reprogram the steering wheel buttons.
    I previously made a pretty detailed post about this topic in the A/V forum, it can be viewed here.

The phone controls are controlled via bluetooth and are separate from the track/volume/source controls which are not controlled via BT.

I strongly advise against cutting and patching any wires on the BT harness under the seat (although it can be done).

I recommend the PAC BT-SWC-NI1 Bluetooth Steering Wheel Control Retention Adapter since you can reverse it back to stock if you ever want to.

Again, the BT-SWC-NI1 adapter is for the phone controls only and should enable basic answer/hangup control if your deck supports it.

The adapter literally just plugs into the harness-side connector after it's been unplugged from the stock BT box. The hardest part is getting at it under the seat/carpet.

Does your deck have customizable steering wheel control settings available?

If it does, you probably don't even need an external box like the Axxess ASWC-1 or PAC CP2 units to retain the non-BT steering wheel controls (track/volume/source), if they can be programmed manually in the deck settings.

If you don't have customizable SWC settings in your head unit, you probably will need an adapter.

I believe the ASWC-1 tries to auto-detect the brand of the head unit and the vehicle, but it can also be manually programmed if auto-detect doesn't work.

Make sure the ASWC-1 is updated with the latest firmware.

Various ASWC-1 instructions can be downloaded here.

I recommend adding the Axxess-AX-NIS32WC-6V harness adapter, it makes the ASWC-1 install way easier, is basically reversible and also includes the stuff needed to retain your stock 6V back up camera.

More info on back up cam retention, USB retention, parking brake lockout override, etc. is available in the original post.

Not a huge fan of doing a professional installer's work for them, but if you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to help.

Name:  btswcni1.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  11.8 KB
    Last edited by shrugsarefree; 06-06-2020 at 09:42 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shrugsarefree For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you Caseybramall(22nd thankyou).This was exactly what I was hoping to find out.There are not too many places to access this information.I went to 2 different installers and neither of them know anything about Micras.I wish I had upgraded the stereo in my 2015 Micra S. Big sound in a little car sounds great.
    As I said I went to 2 installers.The first one failed to get anything but volume steering wheel control working.He spent an hour installing it and trying to program the axxess ASWC ,gave up,uninstalled it and didn't charge me.
    The pioneer head unit recommends using the AxxessASWCmodule.
    I went to a different installer and he wired it by splicing into the wire harness and after an hour charged me but only the volume control works on the steering wheel.
    Is anything different because it is a 2019?These installers charge 75 dollars an hour. .Do you think that there may be something preventing the module from programming anything but the Volume button.That seems odd to me.It doesn't sound complicated in your reply and that is why it is frustrating.Unless I have missed the point somewhere.
    Last edited by Robert; 06-07-2020 at 08:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

shrugsarefree (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    I contacted tech help for the ASWC issue and my problem is that the 2 different car audio installers (I went for professional installation)did not know to,first defeat the nissan BT module .All theswc buttons can be programmed after that is defeated. Axxess tech. told me the nissan bt unit conflicts with the Pioneer.I am not tech savy however that is why I paid and trusted installers with years of experience.Once. defeated the AVH Pioneer2550Nex can be interfaced to the steering wheel buttons.As Caseybramall gave the product #PAC-BT SWC NI1 for the PAC wire harness already...it's use is mandatory for programming the AX-ASWC module .OR. Axxess has a similar BT wire harness Part # Axxess NIS32BT .That is why I only had the volume control operating on my steering wheel.Thank you again Caseybramall...and he has pointed out these will retain your phone buttons as well.I guess it is better to do these things yourself... I guess you can't trust your local Car Audio Installer to do things properly.I can't believe the time wasted.
    The truth of the matter is I am not out financially since between the 2 different installers I paid one hour labour for the basic module install.Now I am going to a third installer to add the BT defeat module and reprogram it .
    Last edited by Robert; 06-08-2020 at 12:46 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-09-2020),shrugsarefree (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Hey Robert,

Glad I could help and thanks for pointing out the Axxess AX-NIS32BT, I wasn't aware they made one also. Sorry you had to spend a bunch of cash on unknowledgeable installers. It's a shame because I believe that most late-model Nissans use the same system, so you'd think they'd be aware of the situation. Unfortunate... The AX-NIS32BT connector is available at Crutchfield Canada.

Name:  g120NiS32BT-F.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  72.8 KB

Thanks
    I called aNissan dealer to see if a 2019 Micra changed in the audio wiring ,and it is the same as any k13 of prior years .I guess the Pioneer is the difference.
    I am going Thurs. to a new installer some 60 miles
    away but they already are experienced with K13's

Thanks
    Thanks both of you for sharing this info - it's bound to help other owners in the future.

Keep us posted on how it works out, Robert.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Everything is fine now.The new place I went to removed the Axxess module and replaced with a Maestro .The initial installer(#1 attempt)used Maestro albiet a different model than the (#3) last place I went to.I have an Axxess module I am not using if anyone wants it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2020)