Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Micra has ignited a sub-$10k price war

Thanks

Hot Micra has ignited a sub-$10k price war

Name:  micra-price-war.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  18.5 KB

Nissan's bonkers $9,998 price on the base Micra has apparently ignited a price war in the small car segment: Mitsubishi Canada is matching the price on the base Mirage with a $2500 rebate... for the time being, at least.

I just jumped over to GM Canada's web site... no changes yet to the Spark's pricing... but I'll be surprised if they don't respond too. With Micra selling 877 cars in its first full month -- significantly more than the Spark's & Mirage's usual monthly numbers -- the competition must be furiously doing pricing calculations.

This is big enough news that a U.S. news site, Green Car Reports, picked it up: Canada Gets Two Cars Below $10,000: Mitsubishi Mirage, Nissan Micra (I bet others will follow suit.)

If anyone else notices any gonzo price moves on other subcompacts, please post!

Ain't competition grand?

---

UPDATE Jan 15/2015: Hyundai's joins the fight: $9400 base Accent

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Good to see the competition.

If I had to get a car today, I'd still get Micra over the Mirage, as I'd rather have more then adequate power then better fuel economy and a barely adequate engine. I used to have a Ford Aspire with only 63 hp, and I could drive ok on the highway, but there were a few scenarios where I would have preferred extra power. Accelerating to 80kph uphill while trying to merge onto a busy freeway, even when dropping to a lower gear, was not fun on the Aspire. I know the Mirage has more horsepower then the Aspire, but I'll take the 109 hp of Micra and not worry about accelerating up a steep hill, thank you.

PS: Bonus to people familiar with Edmonton; I'm talking about merging from down on Fox drive going up hill onto the Whitemud eastbound.

Thanks

Fiat, too?

Someone told me today that Fiat has joined the $10k price war with the 500 -- they said they heard it in a radio ad.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it though.

Who's next??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    ^
    If Fiat has discounted things, they haven't updated their website. After a discount, and pre-shipping/destination fee, the price is $13,495 on a base model.

Thanks
    Fiat adertising on a local Edmonton news station says the Fiat 500 is starting at $13,995. That's somewhat consistent with the $13,495 in the above example. So they've dropped the price between $2000 and $2500 from the original MSRP, but it's still nowhere near the price of the base Micra

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks - I also headed straight for Chrysler Canada's site when I heard this rumour, and saw nothing of note.

Maybe my friend was pulling my leg. Will have a word with him tomorrow!

Thanks
    This is the boost our economy needs. When people spend less on transportation, they have money to spend other ways...going out to dinner, travelling, seeing shows...who would've thought the humble Micra could have sparked such a revolution?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Seeing a few browser ads for Mirage @ $9321 from some guy in Moncton (Ralleye Motors or something) Never clicked through for details.

Still believe the Micra is a much better car/deal. The Mirage was high on my list before the Micra was announced and I'm probably one of the few guys who actually likes its dated, nondescript styling.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    Seeing a few browser ads for Mirage @ $9321 from some guy in Moncton (Ralleye Motors or something) Never clicked through for details.
    I clicked. They bundled a "first time Mitsu buyer" rebate with the $9,998 price.

I'm probably one of the few guys who actually likes its dated, nondescript styling.
    You may not be as alone as you think on that subject...

I've asked a lot of people for opinions about the Mirage's looks, and was surprised that the majority like it -- far more than I would have guessed. I'm not a fan of the car's styling -- I definitely prefer the Micra's. (However I prefer the Mirage's slippery aerodynamics -- which isn't strictly tied to its bland appearance, btw.)

Thanks

Hyundai joins the price war

Anybody else notice they're advertising the base 2014 Elantra this month at just under $12k, all in (before tax)?

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/S...romotions.aspx

That's for the unicorn model: 6-speed manual, no air. Regular price is $17.6k all in!

Seems Hyundai is fighting both Nissan and Honda -- always nipping at the Civic's heels trying to take the crown for Canada's best-selling car.