Thread: Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Name:  20010-2.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  22.5 KB

The purpose of a catch can is to take what is being sent out through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve, and separate the actual oil that may come out, collect it, and send just air and vapors back to the intake manifold, as opposed to the PCV system sending both air, vapors, and oil back in the intake manifold. The goal is to avoid getting oil into the intake manifold.

Getting oil to collect in my Chrysler 300's intake will eventually result in an error message for a sensor gone bad (plugged with oil) and Chrysler charges a couple hundred bucks to remove and clean the intake. I have had my intake off to change spark plugs recently and it is as clean as clean can get. So the catch can is working for me. It's just that my observation of using Pennzoil over Castrol was vastly different in how much stuff was being collected. I'm convinced Pennzoil doesn't stand up to the heat generated in my engine and as a result it vaporized into the catch can in larger amounts. The Pennzoil synthetic may be an exceptional product it just didn't impress me when compared at monthly check up since the Castrol has never filled the can in this manner.

The Micra has it's own catch can I believe. It's a small black box looks like this.

Name:  1.6-litre-nissan-engine.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  49.0 KB

In an earlier thread I asked what this was and this was the reply from Pete.
    (Neither Eddy....that is part of the crankcase ventilation. Its empty. It catches any oil/water from going back into your throttle body and it will also will hold a charge of unburnt fuel briefly until you step back into the gas pedal.)

I've had my Micra just over a year, 14000 km - do my own oil/filter changes and have never had to add oil between changes and I use synthetic oil. Just a fun car.
    Last edited by eddy; 09-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-06-2016)