Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Micra SR automatic week long test drive: Darin's notes & impressions

Thanks

2015 Micra SR automatic week long test drive: Darin's notes & impressions

Name:  micra-sailboats.jpg
Views: 7989
Size:  69.3 KB

(This Micra was loaned to me for a week by Nissan. I paid for my own gas, and even hand washed it before passing it on to its next reviewer. I'm not an auto journalist, and think you should be skeptical of car reviews in general. Do your own homework! You may be surprised at how little you care about the things the "pros" tend to go on about.)

I picked up the car in Ottawa this evening. Quebec plates -- it could very well be the same Micra I drove briefly in Montreal back in May.

I'll be using this thread to post notes, impressions & photos through the week, starting with...

• It's a top of the line SR, with a sticker price of $18,148 (including shipping/destination), which is somewhat shocking when you're used to thinking about the Micra as a $10k car. This one will be over $20k out the door after taxes/fees!

• Suspension: even though I've driven the car before, I was again pleasantly surprised by how well it soaks up bumps, yet it also handles decently. It's well sorted.

• Comfortable cruiser: in combination with the comfy & moderately bolstered driver's seat, I found myself thinking: I could easily drive one of these on a long trip. Cross country by Micra? I'd do it.

• But the arm rest is a bit of a problem. (Base S owners don't even get one, so forgive me for "complaining on the yacht.") While it's certainly a nice place to rest the right elbow, it reveals 2 problems: first, it's not at the same height as the door armrest; second the door arm rest is hard plastic (left elbow doesn't deserve comfort?). The whole arm resting experience ends up being somewhat disjointed. Pun intended. This needs sorting out.

• Steering feels nicely weighted & responsive. I took the scenic roads back from Ottawa which turned into a real life game of "Frogger." There were literally hundreds of frogs on the highways out in the country. Why did the frog cross the road? I don't know, but it was fun flicking the car left & right to keep from squishing them!

• Speaking of flicking the car, did you know the cruise control will cancel itself if you briefly activate the automatic stability control?

• And the automatic transmission? I don't hate it, but I still would not buy one myself. C'mon - it takes too much fun (and some efficiency) out of the car! Though Nissan has done a few things to try to wring more efficiency from the autobox that I'll talk more about later. Also noteworthy: it's remarkably smooth-shifting under light throttle -- practically imperceptible.

• Fuel economy! I'll be tracking all my driving, and calibrating the onboard gauge against a "3-click fill" this week (I topped it right up before I left Ottawa). So far over ~120 km of careful driving in Ottawa, on the 417, and back road cruising at the 80 km/h / 50 mph limit on cruise control, it's showing 4.8 L/100 km (59 mpg Imperial / 49 mpg US). The meter said 9.3 L/100 km when I picked up the car (though I have no idea when it was last reset).

More to come!

Name:  river-front-3-4-660.jpg
Views: 5889
Size:  48.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The trouble with low, sticky-outy side skirts/sill extensions... IT WASN'T ME, I swear!

Name:  IMG307.jpg
Views: 3505
Size:  88.0 KB

It came that way. Discovered while hand washing the car this morning.

And while on the subject of car-washing: the Micra's honeycomb grille looks neat, but it's going to be a pain to keep tidy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    A couple more photos ...

Name:  yellow-rear-3-4-660.jpg
Views: 6838
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  church-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  61.0 KB

Thanks
    AHA! It is the same Micra I tried out in Montreal... same plate:

Name:  lic-plate-montreal-maitland.jpg
Views: 3560
Size:  42.9 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The trouble with low, sticky-outy side skirts/sill extensions:
    Would a clear rubber sealant like Flex Seal Clear be useful in protecting this section of the Micra?

Thanks
    I don't think so. There was a fair amount of force in that scrape.

Curb feelers! Or more careful driving required.

Name:  fbx9iv.jpg
Views: 3762
Size:  78.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I could easily drive one of these on a long trip. Cross country by Micra? I'd do it.
    Apparently I'm not the only one thinking along these lines!

Mom, Dad & toddler pack up a Micra SR automatic and cross the Rockies:
    Road Trip: 2015 Nissan Micra SR, Calgary to Vancouver

Thanks
    If in any way you can figure out a part number for those sills ( if you end up getting the one touched up by Nissan ) i would greatly appreciate it.... been looking for a very long time.... also the yellow colour of the paint resembles that of the safety yellow that almost all shipping companies put on things that could potential make contact with something, that being said, some curbs also are painted in the almost identical paint except it tends to be a lot more reflective.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Pocket, I sent the question to Nissan. Will let you know what they say.

I think it's probably "parking lot yellow" on that scrape. There's a bit of the same yellow in some rash on the rear wheel too.

Update: posted the part numbers in
    Thread: Looking to find side sill spoilers (thats what nissan calls them) / side skirts

Thanks
    Thank you very much!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...