Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Micra got Krownd

Thanks
    I just went through my entire warranty book and no mention of drilling a hole in the door to insert an oil spraying wand will void the warranty. My dealership says not a problem since most if not all rustproofing requires drilling of holes. Only thing I can think of is the rust warranty which talks about paint/finishes being removed and not attended to but hell its a hole with rustproofing in it.

The APA quotes - Sometimes dealers erroneously claim that drilling holes will void the manufacturer’s warranty. This is misleading, and drilling holes may be necessary in order to ensure that the the product reaches the seams, cracks, crevices, etc. where rust really begins.

Just about every rust proofing business indicates warranties are not voided by the car manufacturer. Only catch I can come up with is Nissan does not want any additional rust proofing done to the Leaf.

PS - If your rust proofing business didn't drill holes, ask why and how the hell they got inside the sills, doors, etc to even apply the product. Then ask them to demonstrate.

Thanks
    Agree to disagree. It falls under the tampering and and use of non genuine aftermarket parts. They consider drilling holes in the frame tampering. Like I said it's up to the dealer. Say you have some electrical problem down the road, like a dead CPU, if they choose they can say the oil spray caused it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post

PS - If your rust proofing business didn't drill holes, ask why and how the hell they got inside the sills, doors, etc to even apply the product. Then ask them to demonstrate.

P.S. I never said my shop did oil spraying. It's rubberized undercoating. No drilling or demonstrations needed since I work there and did it myself.

I appreciate the condescending tone of your post though. Reminds me why I don't post here more often.
    Last edited by Vapor; 01-04-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    So I just got off the phone with my local dealership. Asked about rustproofing vs their bull**** electronic module.

They offer 10 years from installation on rust with the module. So if rust happens, they fix it on their dime. Paint, body work, whatever apparently.

If you spray, and the spray is what caused the vehicle issue, they will leave you high and dry. Like too much tar in the joint causing it to fail, or caused an electronic to fail. That kinda thing.

I'm not really sure which to go with. I seriously cannot find any evidence that proves these electronics work, and while the warranty is nice, I'd rather just not have rust in the first place!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post

If you spray, and the spray is what caused the vehicle issue, they will leave you high and dry. Like too much tar in the joint causing it to fail, or caused an electronic to fail. That kinda thing.
    This is one thing that people need to know when it comes to all warranty work. Dealers have to prove that it was the Customer, or company that did the modification to cause OEM equipment to fail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    So I just got off the phone with my local dealership. Asked about rustproofing vs their bull**** electronic module.

They offer 10 years from installation on rust with the module. So if rust happens, they fix it on their dime. Paint, body work, whatever apparently.

I'm not really sure which to go with. I seriously cannot find any evidence that proves these electronics work, and while the warranty is nice, I'd rather just not have rust in the first place!
    DONT DO IT. I got the module for that reason, and they wouldn't;t cover my rust issue and, $800 later im high and dry anyway. The rust was from a previous owners (owner was a Nissan employee ) accident that was a botched repair, Nissan knew didn't tell me when I bought it used from them, and claimed "wasn't here when we sold it to you" and the module company said "yes thats deeper rust than a years worth of rust" so im stuck in limbo because neither will cover it. Nissan Canada owned the vehicle and for some ODD reason had a 3rd party bodyshop fix it and conveniently "have no record of the shop who did the work on our car."
    Micra Meets: Mosport '18

Car Girls FTW.

Interior mods only right now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayward_0ne For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-08-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABMicra17 View Post
    This is one thing that people need to know when it comes to all warranty work. Dealers have to prove that it was the Customer, or company that did the modification to cause OEM equipment to fail.
    They will squirm like hell trying to prove it's the other way around though! Krown isn't a tar like the dealership was telling me, and you can watch entire applications from multiple Youtubers on their vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward_0ne View Post
    DONT DO IT. I got the module for that reason, and they wouldn't;t cover my rust issue and, $800 later im high and dry anyway. The rust was from a previous owners (owner was a Nissan employee ) accident that was a botched repair, Nissan knew didn't tell me when I bought it used from them, and claimed "wasn't here when we sold it to you" and the module company said "yes thats deeper rust than a years worth of rust" so im stuck in limbo because neither will cover it. Nissan Canada owned the vehicle and for some ODD reason had a 3rd party bodyshop fix it and conveniently "have no record of the shop who did the work on our car."
    I will be Krowning mine and will probably post another thread about my experience and observations. I went to the local Krown after my phone call with the dealership and have been convinced they are a better rustproofing solution for the area.

Thanks
    https://www.krown.com

Krown is very good at protection of the body and electrical components, however you want to ensure that they don't overdo it when they spray any plastic or rubber parts since they will swell and deform. A member of a car club I ran "insisted and demanded" to over-spray which resulted in deformation of the bumpers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    We have a member here with an SR that experienced deformation of the rocker panel skirt gasket after getting it sprayed.

I'll see if I can find it...

Yup, here it is:

Thread: Side sill spoiler/ skirt rubber warped (by anti-rust spray)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    We have a member here with an SR that experienced deformation of the rocker panel skirt gasket after getting it sprayed.

I'll see if I can find it...

Yup, here it is:

Thread: Side sill spoiler/ skirt rubber warped (by anti-rust spray)
    Too much of anything is a bad thing...excess spray beyond the amount for protection is too much! I use to get mine done every other year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I still use Penetrol for all my rust proofing needs... it's like tung oil but for metal, when a single coat stops all rust on bare steel for 2 years spending alternating months in and out of a bucket of brine (Y) but then again...

Name:  aOn4JHl.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  89.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...