Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you knew then what you know now, would you still have bought a Micra?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

if you knew then what you know now, would you still have bought a Micra?

Hello,
    I was thinking about buying a 2015 Micra SV that is currently listed at a Nissan dealership for $12995.00 (Can) with 23,000 km but after reading the thread: Problems ALREADY!, I'm beginning to have some seriously nervous reservations.
    So my question to anyone who reads this is, with knowledge of this knocking problem, would you run away from buying a Micra now? I haven't yet taken the vehicle for test drive or even looked at it close up, I've only been reading everything I can about Micras, and up until finding this thread, I was pretty much sold. I like how they look, I like the fuel economy, and I like the features, but now I'm just feeling worried and sad and thinking I need to start this nearly-new car search all over again.
    Thanks for your time; any input pro or con greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    h--p://www.carcomplaints.com/ This is where I go for info. If the 2017 Micra redesign was available here I would trade up in a heart beat. I did all my research back in 2015 and it doesn't really matter which small car you choose they all have quirks and issues. I will say the gm engines turned me off right from small car up to their SUV. I have family who have have gm/chev cruze, acadia, equinox, suffering from poor mileage, burning oil, leaking oil. One, the equinox has had a new engine installed for burning oil. Pretty sad that in these days car makers are pushing cars with features to sell cars instead of solving engine problems.

Thanks
    Here's how I look at it:

Considering Nissan has now sold about 28,000 Micras in Canada, and we've only heard of a handful of owners getting engine warranty work, it's far from a common problem.

Also consider the exact same engine, from the exact same factory, is used in the Versa Note. You can check the Versa forum as well. (Half the posts about the issue there are from the same disgruntled South American owner who posted here.)

Second lastly: the "test" for checking for bearing issues is pretty simple. (It's laid out in that thread.) So if the used Micra you're interested in doesn't make any odd sounds when you slowly increase the RPM in Park, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Finally: it's warrantied for 5 years/100k kms. If it doesn't show up before then, it's probably not going to show up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I won't change a thing!!I had no serious problem, the car run great, fuel millage not so bad.The car have some low point(like all car) but overall you have what you pay for!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd say it's a fairly rare issue and even a Mercedes-Benz can have issues like this in a $200,000 car. No make or model has zero issues. Even if my car came up with the above issue and required a new engine I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vicmicra For This Useful Post:

eddy (10-23-2016)

Thanks
    I took delivery a year and a half ago. I've just hit 40K on the car and i'm still loving this car.
    Any make/model of car and have issues, i'm sure they are the lower percentage. but i wouldn't walk away from this car...besides...if there was a major issue, you could part out the car for the cost of a new likely!!!
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I just had a wheel baring replaced at 24,000kms. Service guys said it was initially on too tight. Other then that, no issues. The cabin noise soon gets drowned out by the stereo and the SV has some kit in it that some more expensive cars have as options.

Thanks
    $12995.00 is expensive, I got mine for $10500.00 Btw it's a great car! No car is perfect, mine is currently to the dealer for a p0011.

Thanks
    Coming up on 90,000 trouble-free kilometers, still on original pads and rotors even! Okay, maybe not exactly trouble-free...there was the dip stick issue, the heat shield issue, and a check engine light that turned out to be not that big of a deal, I think the only change I might've made was to get the Versa Note for the extra room, though I'm convinced I made the right choice in the Micra for the extra fun. OTOH, the Pontiac Torrent at 95,000km is starting to become a headache and a PITA, after the transfer case, having been fixed at the GM dealership, seems to be leaking all over my driveway, and now strange sounds from the HVAC after a coolant flush...might be time to turn the Torrent into a Versa, maybe?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No regrets on the purchase of our basic standard little red Micra last May, I just made sure that the serial number on the engine was not from that problem series that was discussed ad-nuseum in that long thread.

We took MetroMPG's advice on blocking air flow into the engine compartment. Never taken it off. Great fuel economy.

W'ere at 10500 km now. I did oil change myself and noted that in the car manual the oil capacity is wrong. I put in 3.5 l of oil only to have it read high. Oil capacity is really 3 litres.

Very happy with the purchase, we had a fleet of three 6 cylinder vehicles but our altima 2002 manual v6 passed suddenly. Hoping to drive the Micra for years and years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra S manual: 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.5 mpg (Imp) ... 16.8 km/L ... 39.5 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grant For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-08-2016)