Thread: Dont loose your key.

Thanks

Unhappy Dont loose your key.

Misplaced one of my micra S keys (no keyless entry.)

The quote returned to order, cut and program the key- $177... Tried another $tealership, $225.

Will be getting a key cut and trying the old "tape the good key to the column" trick to bypass the *#@( security system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You can bypass the rfid reader in the steering column. Just open your steering column and jumper around it. Follow your ignition circuit. I did it in my 2001 focus when I lost the key and only had my non-RFID spare.

So wait theres a chip in the s model keys??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    So wait theres a chip in the s model keys??
    Yes it has a chip to.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Is it possible to program a new key by yourself, or do you have to have it done at the dealer?

Thanks
    No, the dealer has to do it. It's an RFID chip inside the body of the key. You could potentially do it yourself, but the cost would be incredible compared to paying for a new key. Just open the steering column, and delete the rfid reader from the ignition circuit.

Thanks
    Or like anonymous said, get a cheap copy at a CT, part source, pep boys, or your favourite car/key place for $6 without a chip. And keep one key stuck to the column. Those work fine for doors. I made 4 copies. ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ressurecting this thread for 2021 with an Update: My local Canadian Tire (Waterdown, Ontario, Canada) has a fancy computer for key cutting and programming but they could get a key blank for any Nissan. Micra didn't even show up on their list, they claimed to try other Nissan models but the computer just said, "See the Nissan Dealer". Anyway, I've kindof given up there and booked a service appointment at my local dealer.

The service adviser said plain keys are aprox $200 including programming, keys with remotes are aprox $350 including programming.

I asked for two plain keys, hopefully they only charge me for programming once, and I get away for less than $300

In my defense, I just bought this 2015 Micra SR used last week, with only 69,000 km, for under $11,000 CAD including all taxes and fees and I am very happy with it. It only came with one key. I don't plan on losing the key, but its my wife and teenage kids that I am worried about. I'd rather rescue them with the spare key than have to call a lock smith or a tow truck.

Anyone have any luck getting keys cut elsewhere and bypassing the RFid?