Thread: New owner questions re. bushings, suspension upgrades, and wheel center caps

Thanks

New owner questions re. bushings, suspension upgrades, and wheel center caps

Hi everyone, I own a base s model 5spd. (yay, another member of the 4% club) I really enjoy this car but have a few things I'd like to change.

1. Has anyone found any center caps that will fit on the stock steel rims to cover the center opening of the rim? I'm not a big fan of the hubcaps, but the steel wheels look a little ghetto without some type of center cap.

2. Does anyone know what material the sway bar bushings are manufactured from?
    I wonder if they are all PU now, as the last car I did suspension mods on was a 1974 Datsun, and they were definately rubber. Changing them out to Poly bushings made a huge difference.

3. I'm not particularly interested in lowering the car, but would like it a bit more stiff. In what order would you say you would see the most improvement when replacing suspension components.

I have read most of the other posts here re. suspension additions, upgrades, etc, just wondering in the end what has been the best course of action, or for those of you who have made mods, what you would do differently.

TIA

Mines a little low and i have to raise it. Im about 1" off the top of the tread.
    And the sametime if i was just as loaded with the stock spring id rub occasionally to.
    So i must be some what stiffer. ( my tires also poke out almost 30mm)

I believe stock front is 2.3 kg nismo is 2.8kg and cusco 6kg front
    The rear it 4kg across the board.

An inch lower, less bouce and roll... Nothing wrong with that

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks Impul, I noticed that you bought both Cusco strut/coilovers and rear springs/ shocks. I looked on their site, but didn't see our vehicles listed. I'm curious as to how you went about getting struts that fit. Did you cross reference and find that the Micra shares parts with other Nissans?
    What was the approximate cost?
    Why did you choose to replace the stock springs with what seems to be the same rated spring, are they an inch lower?
    I'm not interested in lowering, just a little stiffer.
    I was thinking about just replacing the springs on the struts, but retaining the Nissan strut assembly minus the springs, which would allow me to keep the sway bar. I wonder if the cusco springs are interchangeable with the Nissan strut bodies?

I havent installed the fronts yet.
    But it is lower and stiffer. The rear is lower but same rate. All the aftermarket suspension had 4kg rear or 3 kg
    The difference was the front.

I kit was $1205 shipped. And no. But there are others that are like tien i think.

For interchangeable parts from japan i use either the march k13 2010+ or e12 versa note
    And ive now learned some things about the nismo note rs which uses the hr16de.

Its all the same chassis and family of engine with different panels and tuning.

The nismo note for explains runs higher compression with tuning intake exhaust and boasts 140ps (about 135hp) and 160Nm ( about 135 ft-lb) . Since theres a hr engine that runs 11.2:1 cr I wouldnt be surprised if its just a super thin metal headgasket and breather mods plus tune for 98ron. ( 94oct )
    Last edited by IMPUL; 06-02-2015 at 05:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The bushings are rubber, Micra's are cheap. lol. As far as stiffening, look for strut tower bars, there are some in the mods list, and I suggest getting some lowering springs. You won't go much lower (still winter happy), but you will notice a world of difference. And for centre caps for your wheels, Nissan doesn't make any, but I'm fairly certain any 60.1mm cap would fit.