Thread: 16 days and 1800km in

Thanks

16 days and 1800km in

Bought my black 5MT SV a tad over two weeks ago.
    Love at first...
    I've almost always driven Nissans, NX, JDM Pulsar LX, Sentra Spec-V's, etc. I drove a Juke a few years ago and was pretty happy with it, although sad that the AWD and MT could not match up. I went by the dealership just to check out what Nissan's offerings in commuters looked like, and thought the price tag and purported mileage were right up my alley. Also it's cute as a bug.

Out with the old, in with the...
    Car is replacing a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec-V that is pretty dead, the gaskets went and maybe also the rings. A powerhorse that got decent mileage, I have a lot of love for the car and will be fixing it if I can justify it.

Job description
    Definitely a daily commuter, I live in the Fraser Valley, an hour or so from Vancouver. Every day I drive to Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, or Vancouver. I put at least 40K/year on my cars. Largely highway driving.

Exterior features/styling
    Mum said "It's not as tiny as I thought it would be!"
    Friends think it's cute.
    I love the way it looks. having factory/dealer accents and stuff is a lot of fun.

Interior features/styling
    I find the driver's seat very comfortable, but I'm pretty average sized 5'11" ~200 lbs. It has room for my snowboard, hockey equipment, golf clubs, etc. It could use a rack for snowboards/camping equipment but that's on me.

Could definitely use more 'organizing' space in the driver compartment. The Versa has a great two-part glovebox, plus a 'phone holder' by the cupholders. My Sentra has a fantastic 'sunglasses' compartment by the dome light and a center console stuff box, and a wallet/keys holder to the left above where the hood release is. Someone posted a photo of the Aussie Micra's hideaway under the seat cushion. There's really nowhere to keep your stuff in this car. That's kind of a bummer.

Equipment/options
    I hate the stock stereo options, the first big ticket on my list is installing a cheapo 'ebay' Android-based header and a sub in the trunk. I knew this going in, and honestly, no car mfr has any actually good options.

I also don't like hubcaps. I will probably look into those great hub covers someone on the forums here has for my winters/steelies.

Driving
    Everything about the drive is great or as expected, It could definitely use another gear on the highway. The gears are tight enough that if you need to accelerate fast you can, but when you're cruising at 120km on the highway at over 4000rpm, you'll be looking for a 6th.

Fuel economy
    I have been getting very acceptable economy, I usually take the 80km/h highway rather than the #1 to avoid tolls anyway, and at 80-90km I get fine mileage. However on the #1 at 120-130, the car drinks almost double the gas unless cowering in the shadow of a semi.

Closing thoughts
    I love the car. I like how it looks, I enjoy how it drives, the trip computer really helps keep my fuel usage down.
    It's my first 'new' car, (I'm sure that is very common). I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a cheapie vehicle to get around town. considering the price it's a 10/10. The things I don't like (stereo, steel wheels on mid-level trim) are obvious cost-cuts that make perfect sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.2 mpg (Imp) ... 15.3 km/L ... 36.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nichol For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-21-2015)

Thanks
    Nice review!

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec-V
    This is the kind of car that -- if you get rid of it -- in 10 or 15 years you'll wish you hadn't. Especially a west coast example that won't turn to rusted out swiss cheese.

I put at least 40K/year on my cars
    Yikes. That's right up there with Paul (Alpha).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice review!

This is the kind of car that -- if you get rid of it -- in 10 or 15 years you'll wish you hadn't. Especially a west coast example that won't turn to rusted out swiss cheese.

Yikes. That's right up there with Paul (Alpha).
    I know. Where do I put it!?!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.2 mpg (Imp) ... 15.3 km/L ... 36.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's always the catch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Quote Originally Posted by nichol View Post
    Bought my black 5MT SV a tad over two weeks ago.
    Love at first...
    I've almost always driven Nissans, NX, JDM Pulsar LX, Sentra Spec-V's, etc. I drove a Juke a few years ago and was pretty happy with it, although sad that the AWD and MT could not match up. I went by the dealership just to check out what Nissan's offerings in commuters looked like, and thought the price tag and purported mileage were right up my alley. Also it's cute as a bug.

Out with the old, in with the...
    Car is replacing a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec-V that is pretty dead, the gaskets went and maybe also the rings. A powerhorse that got decent mileage, I have a lot of love for the car and will be fixing it if I can justify it.

Job description
    Definitely a daily commuter, I live in the Fraser Valley, an hour or so from Vancouver. Every day I drive to Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, or Vancouver. I put at least 40K/year on my cars. Largely highway driving.

Exterior features/styling
    Mum said "It's not as tiny as I thought it would be!"
    Friends think it's cute.
    I love the way it looks. having factory/dealer accents and stuff is a lot of fun.

Interior features/styling
    I find the driver's seat very comfortable, but I'm pretty average sized 5'11" ~200 lbs. It has room for my snowboard, hockey equipment, golf clubs, etc. It could use a rack for snowboards/camping equipment but that's on me.

Could definitely use more 'organizing' space in the driver compartment. The Versa has a great two-part glovebox, plus a 'phone holder' by the cupholders. My Sentra has a fantastic 'sunglasses' compartment by the dome light and a center console stuff box, and a wallet/keys holder to the left above where the hood release is. Someone posted a photo of the Aussie Micra's hideaway under the seat cushion. There's really nowhere to keep your stuff in this car. That's kind of a bummer.

Equipment/options
    I hate the stock stereo options, the first big ticket on my list is installing a cheapo 'ebay' Android-based header and a sub in the trunk. I knew this going in, and honestly, no car mfr has any actually good options.

I also don't like hubcaps. I will probably look into those great hub covers someone on the forums here has for my winters/steelies.

Driving
    Everything about the drive is great or as expected, It could definitely use another gear on the highway. The gears are tight enough that if you need to accelerate fast you can, but when you're cruising at 120km on the highway at over 4000rpm, you'll be looking for a 6th.

Fuel economy
    I have been getting very acceptable economy, I usually take the 80km/h highway rather than the #1 to avoid tolls anyway, and at 80-90km I get fine mileage. However on the #1 at 120-130, the car drinks almost double the gas unless cowering in the shadow of a semi.

Closing thoughts
    I love the car. I like how it looks, I enjoy how it drives, the trip computer really helps keep my fuel usage down.
    It's my first 'new' car, (I'm sure that is very common). I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a cheapie vehicle to get around town. considering the price it's a 10/10. The things I don't like (stereo, steel wheels on mid-level trim) are obvious cost-cuts that make perfect sense.
    Hi nichol, If you dont mind sharing, what did you paid out the door?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...