Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra is most efficient gas vehicle in this year's Eco-Run competition (AJAC)

Thanks

Micra is most efficient gas vehicle in this year's Eco-Run competition (AJAC)

Name:  __1-ajac-eco-run.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  34.6 KB

A base Micra 5-speed just took top honours among conventional gasoline vehicles in the 2015 Vancouver Island Eco-Run, held by AJAC (Auto Journalist Association of Canada).

The EcoRun is an annual AJAC event that shows off a variety of eco-friendly vehicles, which include pure electrics, plug-in and conventional hybrids, hydrogen fuel cells, diesel-fuelled powertrains and highly-efficient gasoline options. The purpose of the EcoRun is to help inform consumers of these alternative options, as well as providing accurate road testing fuel economy numbers. There's no limit to the size of vehicle showcased, as they range from subcompacts to pickup trucks. These new vehicles are driven on real-world road conditions in order to fully test for fuel efficiency and the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions.
    Route: this west coast route covered ~200 km and went from Vancouver up to the ferry at Horseshoe Bay, across to Nanaimo, down to Victoria. Day 2 went up to Swartz Bay, onto the ferry across to Tswwassen and back to Vancouver.

Micra's results: 5.54 L/100 km = 51 mpg (Imp) = 18.1 km/L = 43 mpg (US)

The only cars to beat it were a diesel Golf and a few plug-ins. (A Nissan Leaf took the overall top spot.)

Surprisingly, a Mazda 3 with a 2.5L engine came close behind the Micra, at 5.75 L/100 km.

More info: http://www.ajac.ca/eco-run/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-08-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow, the Micra did better than the diesel Cruze. Didn't see that coming.

Thanks
    Maybe ... the Cruze is an automatic only car, isn't it? I bet the Golf was manual. And didn't GM just announce they're cancelling the diesel option?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Journalist reports 4.4 L/100 km in the Micra S

Name:  B97440812Z.120150402145442000G4B92FGU.11.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  50.4 KB

Found an article about the Eco-Run: Quest for the green jersey at AJAC's 2015 Eco-Run

The pic is of writer Michael Clark, who managed the best fuel consumption in the Micra S manual: 4.4 L/100 km. (Thus the "four & four" hand signs.) FYI, that equals 64 mpg (Imp) = 22.7 km/L = 54 mpg (US).

That was on the day 2 leg, 33 kilometers from Victoria to North Saanich.

I've read & watched a number of reviews & YouTube videos from Clark. He's one of the rare reviewers who's able to keep small, entry-level cars in context in his work. He genuinely seems to enjoy them. And he says about the Micra: "No A/C, no power windows, no problem."

How'd he do it?

In the simplest terms, saving fuel is all about anticipation, and modifying your inputs as needed. It’s not about driving 40 klicks below the speed limit.
    Basically, don't rush into situations where you have to brake. Read the traffic situation ahead and get off the gas ASAP when you see a slowdown ahead.

He also appreciated the manual transmission: early upshifts and lots of coasting in neutral where practical make a big difference.

Regarding those early upshifts: "you’ll be glad to know that fifth gear motoring in the Micra can be achieved at a speed as low as 37 km/h, without rattling the floorboards."

Read the full article: http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...s-2015-eco-run

Thanks
    Problem is, the computer is far from accurate and the 4.4L/100 km is probably closer to 5.4.

My computer now show 6.4L/100km but according to Fuelly, my REAL milleage is 7.6, quite a bit more than what the computer show! That's a 1.2L/100km discrepency.

The only way to be sure of the real milleage is to actually measure it with a tool like Fuelly.

I don't think he really did 4.4.

As for me, best I did was on the highway, 4.8L/100km when on the highway for a 75km ride, at around 100kmh, according to my computer, so that was probably around 5.8L/100km.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

The pic is of writer Michael Clark, who managed the best fuel consumption in the Micra S manual: 4.4 L/100 km. (Thus the "four & four" hand signs.) FYI, that equals 64 mpg (Imp) = 22.7 km/L = 54 mpg (US).

That was on the day 2 leg, 33 kilometers from Victoria to North Saanich.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Agreed: it's probably not as good as his gauge said.

But the gauge in the SR I tried was surprisingly accurate. It was only off by about 5% over several fill-ups, right to the top each time.

So if his gauge was off by the same amount that I measured, his actual result would have been 4.6 L/100 km.

Too bad we'll never know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    Problem is, the computer is far from accurate and the 4.4L/100 km is probably closer to 5.4.

My computer now show 6.4L/100km but according to Fuelly, my REAL milleage is 7.6, quite a bit more than what the computer show! That's a 1.2L/100km discrepency.

The only way to be sure of the real milleage is to actually measure it with a tool like Fuelly.

I don't think he really did 4.4.

As for me, best I did was on the highway, 4.8L/100km when on the highway for a 75km ride, at around 100kmh, according to my computer, so that was probably around 5.8L/100km.
    Weirdness, my 5 speed does not get 4.8 at 100kph. It reports more like 5.8. Also the Victoria-Saanich highway has an 80kph limit, if I remember correctly. Something in the 4's makes sense at that speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.2 mpg (Imp) ... 15.3 km/L ... 36.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    nichol: nice to see another Micra in our fuel log!!

---

The automatic has a lower top gear ratio, so on a purely top gear run, it could get better numbers than the manual. Plus, 1-way runs could have favourable grades or wind conditions.

And he mentioned in the full article that he was driving a bit below the limit due to wet roads.

Thanks
    Yep, it seems that the automatic is very competitive on the highway, especially if not going over 100kmh.

But you can't say that the SR computer is close to the real thing. I have an SR and mine is 1.2L/100km off. That's a lot and I am guessing that some might even be worse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well that's what my computer reported, but it's off so I am guessing my real mileage was more like 5.6 to 5.8.

On the highway the automatic gets really good results, probably better than the manual. I will know more about it once I start driving more on the highway this summer, and calculate the actual fuel economy, not just what the computer report.

Quote Originally Posted by nichol View Post
    Weirdness, my 5 speed does not get 4.8 at 100kph. It reports more like 5.8. Also the Victoria-Saanich highway has an 80kph limit, if I remember correctly. Something in the 4's makes sense at that speed.