Thread: Micra review from a Canadian writer of the infamous TTAC

Thanks

Micra review from a Canadian writer of the infamous TTAC

finally,, a review that doesnt say the same stuff like other countless Micra reviews.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...n-datsun-days/

I more or less agree with his take.

thoughts?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Maybe I'm a simpler guy, but I disagree with this article.

The Micra is completely okay for Canadian (and US) roads. Its not some crappy little econobox that you drive around hating yourself in (as many reviewers would have you believe). But, I drive a 1999 Chevy Metro and I'm quite happy with it. I drive my Metro on interstates without any worry about F150s or semis. That is with it being WAY slower than the Micra. And, for some inexplicable reason, I get around just fine in it. Does it have a massive overabundance of power? Nope. Plush interior? Nope. Latest keyless entry and keyless start? Nope. Why have those things even become the standard (except for 3rd world countries apparently) for what a car should be?

To me, a car is a car. That means it should get me from point A to point B safely and reliably. The rest of the features such as fluffy padded interiors, satellite radio, backup cameras, lane departure warning system, radar blind spot warning, and most of that other stuff is completely unnecessary to get me from point A to B. Those things seem like band aids for bad drivers, and/or people who just want to be entertained by their 'car'.

That being said, one of my other cars is a Prius. It has tons of gadgets and technology in it. I like that too. I think its a great car. But, I don't go around saying my Metro is a piece of junk because it doesn't have regenerative braking, or Bluetooth, or any of the other fancy features the Prius has. Its just a fancier car with a bunch of neat, yet totally unnecessary features that I was willing to pay for.

Phew, that wasn't supposed to sound like a rant, but I guess it kind of does.

Thanks
    intersting take,

i like my micra but i will say that, just like that other thread where ppl posted things they wished micra had, there are things i wish micra had, that would benefit me materially, but i understand that its in a price segment that precludes having those extras.

that said, to me a car will never be just a A to B transport appliance. If it were, i'd just get a corolla and call it a day.

to me, it's something deeper...

Thanks
    There is a LOT of bull**** in this article, it's ridiculous. I don't have any problem getting on the highway even when the traffic is 120kmph. I lived in California for 8 years and nobody drive 80 mph around the cities, plus they change line most of the time to let you access the highway, most people do that. This article is just plain full of BS. I felt like they did not even try the car.

We have a Honda Civic and the Micra is far more comfortable, softer on the bottom It feels solid, well built compare to many cars that I tried.

They are talking like it's not possible or at least very hard to get on the highway... how stupid can they be, really? when I get on the highway I just hit the gas and the car respond. Yes it's 109HP but it's light weight, so it's quite powerful enough for any highway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    is it really that bad?

he's just saying the car would never take wings in the US sales charts. Which is a reasonable argument, considering the sales history.

in fact, the only way to sell is if you are cutesy: 500 or cooper. And even those are becoming bigger...

Thanks
    I have no problem hitting 80 MPH when merging onto the highway, if I so choose. Perhaps this reviewer needs driving lessons. Also, my Micra comes with features that puts my friend's 7 year old Cadillac to shame.

To me, my car needs to be more than a point A to point B machine. I want it to be fun to drive, comfortable, keep me cool in the summer and warm in the winter, have cruise control for those long trips, allow me unrestricted access to my music, and provide me with hands-free access to my phone and texting. Dollar for dollar, my Micra is a high end car disguised as an econo-box.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No, that is not that bad, what is that bad is saying that the car won't be able to cope with highway access, which is a load of BS and plenty of others things in between in this article.

When I think how slowly the big trucks enter the highway, I wonder how they don't realize what a load of BS they wrote. They must not have any truck in the USA!

What I thought was great about the Micra is that I could afford all the new tech commodities and have a very well equiped car for a small price tag, which is probably the only car on the market that can provide all this at the low price. And it's so fun to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    is it really that bad?

he's just saying the car would never take wings in the US sales charts. Which is a reasonable argument, considering the sales history.

in fact, the only way to sell is if you are cutesy: 500 or cooper. And even those are becoming bigger...
    Last edited by dani3d; 04-03-2015 at 04:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    There is a LOT of bull**** in this article, it's ridiculous.
    You nailed it.

His main argument is: the Micra would never work in the U.S. because of (lists a bunch of easily refuted reasons).

Anyone care to guess what the best-selling subcompact car in the USA is? It's the Nissan Versa sedan. Month after month, it has been the sales leader for many years.

And the Versa is built on the SAME platform as the Micra, in the same factory, with the SAME drivetrain (with the exception of optional CVT, but even the 4AT was still available in the sedan just a couple of years ago), with many of the same interior parts.

The Micra is essentially a short wheelbase version of the Versa sedan, but with nicer exterior styling and a BETTER power to weight ratio (it's a bit lighter). So his arguments fall apart.

The only argument that makes sense for NOT bringing the Micra to the US is that it would cannibalize Versa sedan sales.

Also, this is nonsense:

If the Micra was introduced in America, it would be flayed, drawn and quartered worse than the Mitsubishi Mirage was.
    He's on crack if he thinks US auto journos would say worse things about the Micra than the Mirage. Canadian reviewers tended to be (stereotypically) more polite in their reviews of the Mirage than many Americans were, but in 70+ Micra reviews and 100+ Mirage reviews I've read, only ONE reviewer has put them on more or less equal footing. The vast majority of reviewers obsess over power, and they like decent handling, and the Micra has more of both. (Better styling too, but that's subjective!)

Perhaps this reviewer needs driving lessons.
    Maybe you could give him some! He's based in Toronto.

I generally enjoy TTAC, but Kreindler was out to lunch on this one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...