Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Datsun name revived: Datsun "Go" is a super cheap Micra

Thanks

Datsun name revived: Datsun "Go" is a super cheap Micra

Name:  nissan-datsun-go-small-car-hatchback-first-drive-review-zigwheels-india-28022014-g22_640x480.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  81.4 KB

You think a $9998 Micra is cheap? Think again!

Nissan has revived the Datsun name with the launch of a super low-cost car, the Datsun Go.

The Go is based on the same platform as the Micra, with different body panels/styling, and stripped down for extreme cost-savings. (Wiki: Datsun Go)

But this car isn't coming to Canada: the Datsun brand is meant for emerging auto markets like Indonesia, Russia, India and South Africa. (Wiki: Datsun relaunch)

Check out this new Indian review of the Datsun Go to get a sense of how different it is from the Micra. It's fun to play "spot the de-contenting", especially in the interior photo gallery.

The strangest thing to my eye is the front pseudo-"bench seat" configuration with the gearshift sprouting from the dashboard, which conceivably makes the Go a 6-seater.

Article: http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/17991/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Any idea on the price point? I mean 10k is cheap enough as it is, but even less would be crazier! I wonder if 48MPG is enough along with the low price to convince a would be car buyer to sway their way.

I feel like if they brought Datsun back to North America, they would need to bring back the Z series, otherwise they would never sell well.

Thanks
    Yeah, this ain't coming to North America... combining "super super cheap" with "Z car" under the same brand name doesn't smell like a successful strategy to me!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I can honestly say I like the exterior styling of the Go more than the Micra. Its a little edgier, not as curvy which is appealing to me. I don't like the 13" wheels though... looks a bit too small.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yeah, this ain't coming to North America... combining "super super cheap" with "Z car" under the same brand name doesn't smell like a successful strategy to me!
    I totally agree. The only way I could see it working here is if it had a hybrid model and every option available. It would be good competition against the Prius C. With a non-hybrid model, it could compete against the Mazda2 and Yaris.

Thanks
    I could definitely live with some of the 'cheapening' changes they did. No glove box door/cover? Not a big deal. Crank windows? Eh, I like power, but its definitely not something that is going to stop me from choosing a car I like.

I also find it very odd that such a 'budget' oriented car gets LED tail lights? I realize its probably not the most expensive option, but they seem to have cut everything else out of the car. Is that really such a big selling feature?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    gearshift sprouting from the dashboard, which conceivably makes the Go a 6-seater.
    A 6-seater, you say? And what about the back seats??

Thanks
    HA. Thanks for the chuckle.