Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cap loose message - Check engine light on dash

Thanks
    I just realized I asked the same question twice, I'm sorry about that, I hadn't notice it was Patty who commented again.

I guess for now all I can do and wait to see if the issue occurs again.. I'll keep you all posted and I hope you don't have this type of annoying issue with your micras!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    It was a leak at the vent control valve that they fixed under warranty.

basically the car pulls a vacum on the entire air system above the fuel tank fluid level, so you can imagine a few solenoids and maybe 12-15 feet of hose with various connections with hose clamps. if there is ANY air leakage the car will signal it. As you can imagine , hard to track down where the vacum leak is becasue no "fluid" leaks out. If thats the only OBD code you get it WONT EVER leave you stranded..its just an evaporative emissions thing.ie you may have to live with it or chase ghosts.....you MAY be able to check the connections are tight(and even just moving them a bit may seal it) on the "charcol canister"...google "evaporative vent control valve" or "charcol canister"..im not sure where they are located, but its probably a big, black, canister in the engine bay...OR behind the left rear wheel.

Thank you. This is more of an explanation than I got from the dealership. This happened a few years ago and since they found and tightened(?) the connection, no further problems. Knock wood.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm not sure where the canister is on the Micra but on my son's Sentra it is located at the right hand of the gas tank. There's also a good chance it will have a plastic cover over it to help protect it from damage from road debris. I haven't looked at my Versa but I'm pretty sure it's also in about the same location. They switched the coil to see if it sets the same code or whether the code comes back as PO304 which is cylinder 4 misfire. I've never dealt with a car with coil on plug before but I'd think there would be a way to test the coil to find out if that's the problem or not.
    Last edited by 2016 Versa; 10-26-2019 at 07:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Versa SV automatic: 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.3 mpg (Imp) ... 21.4 km/L ... 50.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    As I suspected these coils can be checked to see if they are firing or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7YMMlR8wc4 I guess it's possible that it's an intermittent problem with the coil but I'd come nearer thinking if that was the case maybe there's a loose/broken wire in the harness going to the coil. I guess if it happens again they'll want to charge you another $100+ diagnostic fee. Taking any of my cars to a mechanic is last resort after I've done everything I know to do. Some mechanics aren't mechanics at all they are parts exchangers. They never do any troubleshooting. They simply change a part and if this part doesn't fix the problem maybe I'll get it right next time. I can do that at home and it doesn't cost me $125. an hour to do it but I usually try to have some kind of evidence the part I'm changing actually needs to be changed. I don't like wasting my time/money doing something that's not going to do any good.
    Last edited by 2016 Versa; 10-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Versa SV automatic: 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.3 mpg (Imp) ... 21.4 km/L ... 50.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I just purchased a used 2017 Micra SV. Cute little car. When I put in gas the other night, I could not get the fuel cap to click at all. It tightens, but WILL NOT click, even the once that it's supposed to. Of course I had the engine light come on the next night, and it stalled at an intersection. I was able to get the car started and back home.

The threads on the cap and the tank receptacle appear clean. How do I get it to click? I can't force the cap clockwise any further.
    Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    I just purchased a used 2017 Micra SV. Cute little car. When I put in gas the other night, I could not get the fuel cap to click at all. It tightens, but WILL NOT click, even the once that it's supposed to. Of course I had the engine light come on the next night, and it stalled at an intersection. I was able to get the car started and back home.

The threads on the cap and the tank receptacle appear clean. How do I get it to click? I can't force the cap clockwise any further.
    I ended up going to Crappy Tire this morning, and purchased a compatible replacement cap for less than twenty bucks. The engine light is still on, but the improvement to the car's performance was almost immediate.

I'll keep an eye on the light and see if it goes off by the weekend.
    Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

Thanks
    k, the cap is an emission control device, im not 100percent sure,but the car should literally run fine without the cap. car would have a "vacum leak" i assume. Does anyone have any advice about that?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I, also, had a vucuum system check engine (code EVAP) a few years ago. The problem came from a solenoid located very low near the gas tank. It happened when we drove in a slushy area on spring time. Not an expensive repair.

Thanks
    Well, I picked up some STP Fuel Injector Cleaner from Crappy Tire, and upon filling the tank, poured in the contents. After about 100 km driven, the engine check light went off. Happy Ending!
    Cheers,
    Jody Thornton
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

Thanks
    the car probably needed a few "drive cycles" to recognize the new cap...just like it needs a few drive cycles to notice the PROBLEM with the cap (so the light doesn't come on just because someone ONCE didn't tighten the cap) but the fuel cleaner cant hurt,but there is NO CHANCE fuel cleaner will fix a vacuum leak.but great all's well!!

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!