Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cap loose message - Check engine light on dash

Thanks
    my advice would be to wait...could have been water, bad gas,...the dealer wont be able to tell WHY it misfired but the car doesnt seem to think anything is wrong. If it runs OK and the check engine light isnt on, i doubt they will do much, they will just blame it on "bad gas"...if the light comes on again and its the same code, THEN i would worry. There is also "freeze frame" data you can acess throught the code reader that will tell you some information about the other sensors when the misfire happened....SOMETIMES that can be useful so if you clear the code, record the freeze frame data

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    my advice would be to wait...could have been water, bad gas,...the dealer wont be able to tell WHY it misfired but the car doesnt seem to think anything is wrong. If it runs OK and the check engine light isnt on, i doubt they will do much, they will just blame it on "bad gas"...if the light comes on again and its the same code, THEN i would worry. There is also "freeze frame" data you can acess throught the code reader that will tell you some information about the other sensors when the misfire happened....SOMETIMES that can be useful so if you clear the code, record the freeze frame data
    Thanks for the tip, this is indeed what I was gonna do, just wait and hope the light doesn't come back again. I didn't know that bad gas could cause this type of message but it would make sense since it went away after re-fueling. The car does run fine. I saw there was a freeze frame section on my code reader but I didn't really know how to read the data, I will do some more research. I appreciate your input on this!

Thanks
    My son just had an accident with his Sentra a few weeks ago and the fuel vapor canister got damaged. The shop that repaired the car put a new canister on but when he got the car back the CEL came back on within a day after them resetting the code. The problem was they failed to get one of the hosed back to the new canister good. He also filled up his car while the light was on and it went out temporarily. If yours comes back on and you get a code pertaining to the vapor canister you should check that all the hoses are on good and none of them have any leaks. Just a slight amount of air in the system will set the CEL. Here's some information on PO302. https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0302

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Versa SV automatic: 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.3 mpg (Imp) ... 21.4 km/L ... 50.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    There WAS something wrong with the engine. Of course I can't remember what it was, but I left the car with them at the time. When my neighbour returns my car, I'll see if I have any statement from them --- it was still under warranty, so I don't know if they gave me anything at all about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    My son just had an accident with his Sentra a few weeks ago and the fuel vapor canister got damaged. The shop that repaired the car put a new canister on but when he got the car back the CEL came back on within a day after them resetting the code. The problem was they failed to get one of the hosed back to the new canister good. He also filled up his car while the light was on and it went out temporarily. If yours comes back on and you get a code pertaining to the vapor canister you should check that all the hoses are on good and none of them have any leaks. Just a slight amount of air in the system will set the CEL. Here's some information on PO302. https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0302
    The light did not come back but on my way to work today the car started rough running and it felt like it was jerking forward when accelerating. When idling at a red light, it felt like it might stop altogether and it was shaking a lot. I've never experience this in a car. I dropped it off at the dealership and they will check it tomorrow. The guy thought it could be a fried sensor, but it's hard to tell. If it's engine related, it should still be under warranty but they still charge for the diagnosis... Fun times.. I never thought I'd have this type of issue with a 3 year old car with 19000 km.

Thanks
    I found the invoice
    It was a leak at the vent control valve that they fixed under warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    I found the invoice
    Thanks for the info. In my case, they didn't find anything, they just swapped the coil from cylinder 2 and 4 and the issue disappeared so they just told me to leave and see if it happens again. This is apparently Nissan procedure and they just can't investigate any further for now. I'm pretty baffled by this, this is just moving the issue and waiting for another episode.. All that for 100$ fee of diagnostic.

I'm really not impressed by Nissan on this. Now every time I take my car I'm worried it'll start acting up again.

Thanks
    We have a very good Nissan dealership here in Victoria, but I think they didn't do anything until the third time I was at the shop with the light on. The first time, one of the service guys came out and showed me how to close my gas cap.... for heaven's sake. I was pumping gas before he was born! I forget what advice I got the second time. But the third time, they did fix it. No diagnostic fee....

I know that feeling of worrying every time you take out your car. Hope the problem gets resolved soon......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    We have a very good Nissan dealership here in Victoria, but I think they didn't do anything until the third time I was at the shop with the light on. The first time, one of the service guys came out and showed me how to close my gas cap.... for heaven's sake. I was pumping gas before he was born! I forget what advice I got the second time. But the third time, they did fix it. No diagnostic fee....

I know that feeling of worrying every time you take out your car. Hope the problem gets resolved soon......
    Do you remember what was the issue? I hate how they never really take you seriously, and not to be sexist, but it feels like it's worse when you're a woman.

Thanks

basically the car pulls a vacum on the entire air system above the fuel tank fluid level, so you can imagine a few solenoids and maybe 12-15 feet of hose with various connections with hose clamps. if there is ANY air leakage the car will signal it. As you can imagine , hard to track down where the vacum leak is becasue no "fluid" leaks out. If thats the only OBD code you get it WONT EVER leave you stranded..its just an evaporative emissions thing.ie you may have to live with it or chase ghosts.....you MAY be able to check the connections are tight(and even just moving them a bit may seal it) on the "charcol canister"...google "evaporative vent control valve" or "charcol canister"..im not sure where they are located, but its probably a big, black, canister in the engine bay...OR behind the left rear wheel.

Last edited by MrMicra2015; 10-25-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!