Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading DTC codes without a scan tool (check engine light)

Thanks

Lightbulb Reading DTC codes without a scan tool (check engine light)

Got the check engine light on?
    No fret... no need for an expensive (nor a cheap) ODB-II reader. Our 10k tin cans can read off the display.

Jokes aside, it can become useful

Here's how to read and reset:

Read
    * Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
    * Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
    * Wait exactly seven seconds.
    * Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the check engine light flashes.
    * Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (half seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.) The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (like a quarter of a second) and a 1 second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode. You can look up the trouble codes in the FSM if you have a copy, or online. If you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

Clearing
    You can clear the code (and the annoying check engine light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in the above mode. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

I hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lbarouf For This Useful Post:

4Aaron GE (04-02-2019),Daox (02-25-2015),LilGeckos (09-29-2015),MetroMPG (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    i never even knew this was a thing

its like those video game cheat rumors back in the day

anyone have a vid of this? interesting!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that tid bit.

Thanks
    We need to sticky this admin..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that tid bit.
    My pleasure. I didn't have my handy ODB-II reader close by, so I googled and it worked. So, what better place to share my finding that this community?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Nice. My old Dodge Neon from the 90's did a similar trick: Cycle the ignition key on and off 3 times one second apart, and the check engine light would start flashing OBD codes. Missed that in my Grand Am, really pleased that my Micra can do it.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    my 2000 Focus did this in a dash diagnostic mode, did some really cool things too. it would cycle through info on the trip meter from OBDII codes in hex format, to exact readouts of engine temp, speed, RPM etc. Was handy when the needle on the speedo went on the fritz.

Thanks
    Stickied! Thanks for digging this up. Good Easter egg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks. By the amount of thanks I'm not sure how useful folks think it is. Anyhow, it may help someone one day.

Thanks
    And.... if this doesn't work to erase the steady engine light?????

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...