Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous: foot getting stuck on plastic near gas pedal - 2015 Micra SV

Thanks

Exclamation Dangerous: foot getting stuck on plastic near gas pedal - 2015 Micra SV

I saw that a few other owners have experienced this issue and was wondering how widespread the issue was. When driving my foot often gets caught between the gas pedal and the plastic shroud that comes down from the centre console. Depending on what footwear I have on at the time, this can cause the gas pedal to stay depressed. Often times in order to get my foot unstuck I have to give the car more gas, then slide my foot to the left and off of the pedal. I haven't yet had any near-misses but I can see how the inability to remove one's foot from the accelerator could prove very dangerous. Anyone know if Nissan plans to address this issue?

---

(Admin EDIT: see photo in post #10)

---

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMaisonneuve View Post
    I saw that a few other owners have experienced this issue and was wondering how widespread the issue was. When driving my foot often gets caught between the gas pedal and the plastic shroud that comes down from the centre console. Depending on what footwear I have on at the time, this can cause the gas pedal to stay depressed. Often times in order to get my foot unstuck I have to give the car more gas, then slide my foot to the left and off of the pedal. I haven't yet had any near-misses but I can see how the inability to remove one's foot from the accelerator could prove very dangerous. Anyone know if Nissan plans to address this issue?
    Yep, i'm one of the guys that noticed and posted on this... you get used to it after a while and your foot knows where not to go. *touches wood*
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Got a dremel tool? Plastic is soft.

If it's important to you, I'd report it directly to Nissan.

Also: welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Actually, in the few hours I have had driving our new car, I did notice that this is an issue. I was going to look and see what my foot is getting caught up on this coming weekend. It is a concern, to me.

Update:

So I took another drive (third one in the new Micra) last night, and also had a look at the piece of plastic that has caught my foot a couple of times. Last night I was careful, and did not get my foot stuck-- but I do think it is an issue. This morning I did a quick search, and discovered the same sort of issue has been brought up in the USA regarding the Versa. Judging by the picture, the trim is cut a little differently, but same sort of issue. I think a will just put a little duct tape over the edge of the plastic to seal the gap.

Plastic Trim Causes Investigation of 360,000 Versa Cars
    Last edited by SunshineCoast; 02-04-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Update

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunshineCoast For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    You understand that neither the government nor the company will consider it a safety issue until someone gets killed, right?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I never had a problem like that and I drive with huge Baffin boots, like skeedoo boots. wierd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    I never had a problem like that and I drive with huge Baffin boots, like skeedoo boots. wierd.
    Stop the interwebs for just a moment.

Is what we have here, the first lady in the history of the planet bragging about how big her feet are?

I'm gonna try and look at this problem today, for the sake of all us Yetis (male and female)

At least think dani3d is a woman? apologies if not... bro!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Lately I have been driving while wearing my winter boots. No issue here. I have US size 10 feet.

Thanks
    I don't think this has to do with size of foot / shoe / boot. I think it has to do with the angle of the foot on the gas peddle.

If the foot is pretty straight facing the front of the car, no problem. If the foot is at an angle of around 1-2 o' clock, and it moves a bit to the right after depressing the gas, as you let up on the gas the foot gets pinched between the peddle and the plastic trim. It's not hard to release it, but it is a surprising, and possibly dangerous.

Thanks
    I actually tried to get my foot caught intentionally this morning. Only time it ever caught the trim was when I put my heel on the very bottom of the gas pedal. I normally have my heel on the floor. So chalk it up to foot positioning? Guess everyone has their own style.