Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous: foot getting stuck on plastic near gas pedal - 2015 Micra SV

Thanks
    Yes-- clear from the pictures, same trim, same issue. I appreciate that most have not experienced this issue. Most of the time, I do not either. But, when it does happen, it is a real (unpleasant) surprise! Clearly a bad idea to have trim near the peddles that could snag a foot! I will be either trimming or taping mine this weekend, and I will also be reporting this issue to Nissan Canada. John is bang on: 'imagine how you might feel...'

Thanks
    Yep, that's the exact same trim piece alright. Where your foot tends to catch is the top corner.

Just thought of another idea that might work... and that is using a heat gun and bending the top corner of plastic trim towards the centre of the car away from your foot.

EDIT: Yeah, the heat gun will work. See pic... I just bent over the top corner of the piece I removed yesterday. I would suggest referencing my original pics though, and bend over a larger section of the plastic. There is plenty of empty space behind this section of trim for the plastic to bend in to.

You will a good heat gun though (doubt a hair dryer would work) mine heats to 482° C (842° F). Be careful you don't burn down your car. At least pop the rivet and pull the trim away from the centre console, in order not to melt anything else or start the carpet on fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aftica; 02-06-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I added this to the mods list:

Micra modifications / customizations list

Thanks
    Nissan does have a design flaw with this issue but regardless, proper driving footwear is necessary in any car. If you choose to wear bulky boots, you could be at risk of getting them caught on the gas pedal while breaking, breaking during gear changes on Manual cars, and of course the issue with the trim piece catching our feet. I have worn dress shoes to an event and had difficulty driving as the shoes were too long and kept getting stuck at the top of the gas pedal. I had similar issues in my City Golf (which I dumped in favour of the Micra) and in that car I wore driver specific shoes which are a lean cut running shoe. Don't take the chance on a small like this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.0 L/100 km ... 35.4 mpg (Imp) ... 12.5 km/L ... 29.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey guys, it seems a number of posters are commenting about this problem in conjunction with large work or winter boots. It definitely does help if you are wearing large boots, but wearing regular shoes does not eliminate the problem.

The Micra pedals are well spaced and laid out perfectly for driving with all types of boots. OK, if you trying to drive with swim fins or you're wearing your clown suit to your next gig, you will obviously have trouble. I have no trouble with work boots or large snow boots.

It is that damn plastic cover that is the problem and I have to be careful not to snag my foot on it when wearing my normal, slim canvas ''Converse'' type shoe. Let that (lazy) foot get angled even slightly to the right and it will catch.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Nissan does have a design flaw with this issue but regardless, proper driving footwear is necessary in any car. If you choose to wear bulky boots, you could be at risk of getting them caught on the gas pedal while breaking, breaking during gear changes on Manual cars, and of course the issue with the trim piece catching our feet. I have worn dress shoes to an event and had difficulty driving as the shoes were too long and kept getting stuck at the top of the gas pedal. I had similar issues in my City Golf (which I dumped in favour of the Micra) and in that car I wore driver specific shoes which are a lean cut running shoe. Don't take the chance on a small like this.

The issue isn't transitioning from pedal to pedal, but instead being stuck between the pedal and trim. Unless you're going to the track, driving shouldn't be an ordeal where one needs to change their footwear for fear of safety hazards.

Thanks
    I have not seen this issue with mine. I don't wear large boot (never like larger footwear / thicker soles when driving).
    Where can look (or better yet) find TSBs from Nissan for our car?
    It would be nice to either have a link, or a thread with all bulletins, recalls, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Lately, I've been changing out of my work boots into a pair of slippers for driving. I actually don't have this plastic trim catching my foot problem when wearing my boots, I only experienced it once with my cross trainers...but I've found that wearing my boots all day isn't good for my feet, and my commute is nearly an hour each way, so it's nice to get comfortable.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Totally agree. And thinner soles allow to "feel" the pedals much better I find.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    for obv reasons, wearing heavy or thick footwear is a general no no in terms of quick or efffective pedal reaction

that said, yes, i've had my soles stuck in that trim to me, too