Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Nissan Micra SR engine problem (oil consumption - head gasket)

Thanks

2015 Nissan Micra SR engine problem (oil consumption - head gasket)

Hello everyone, I am a proud owner of a 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5MT with 32,500 km. I am here to report a problem that i have encountered and the dealership has rectified. It will be fixed soon. Its quite serious and i want the rest of the Micra owners to know this for your own good!

Since my very first oil change i have noticed an unusually high oil consumption rate. Using synthetic oil and replacing it every 8000 km i was left with only 1/3rd of my oil by the time i was ready for my next service. Somehow the engine was consuming 2/3 of its oil. The first two times i shrugged off, ignored. But after a while it concerned me and finally a check engine light came on, so i contacted my dealership. They told me it was an engine misfire code and replaced the upstream oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold and sent me on my way. The light came back after one week. I took it in again and they checked the spark plugs and ignition coils. To my dismay they found that spark plug on cylinder number 1 was covered in burnt oil causing the misfire code. Oil was leaking past the head gasket and leaking into engine cylinder number 1 and being burned in the exhaust (which also clogged the 02 sensor) Nissan has ordered new gaskets and a new engine block, just the bottom end. My head and valvetrain will be left original. They will be removing the motor and essentially replacing the block and rebuilding everything. This is all covered under warranty (thank goodness) and Nissan has determined it was a faulty engine from the beginning. They havent had this problem for any other Micra or car equiped with this motor.

So if you are experiencing rapid oil consumption, take this story to your dealership and have them check it out!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to audi-driver1126 For This Useful Post:

Howie (01-18-2015),MetroMPG (01-17-2015),micrapolis (01-25-2015),pilip948 (11-26-2016)

Thanks
    You mentioned noises at certain engine RPMs in your intro post. I wonder if the rebuild/replacement will cure that.

Thanks for the report & keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You mentioned noises at certain engine RPMs in your intro post. I wonder if the rebuild/replacement will cure that.

Thanks for the report & keep us posted.
    Yeah I have wondered about that myself. I'm very exited to have the rebuild done. I'll let everyone here know what I notice different.

Thanks
    It should, generally speaking, Nissan replaces engines as a "long block", so the head would be installed from factory- and hence the gasket. Its a good thing they are making good on the warranty. Sometimes even with the best cars, a couple bugs happen.

The HR16DE in our car is a typical low cost/high production engine and used in thousands of vehicles.

It is normal for engines to consume some oil between changes. How much is normal depends on the engine itself. The SR20DET is almost famous in some circles for consuming 1lt per 2500km while others have very little. Varying tolerances from engine to engine can make this a a head scratcher for some.

That being said, your issue is not normal in the least.
    Last edited by Howie; 01-18-2015 at 01:16 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Okay everyone. Car is going into the shop in half an hour. Replacement of the motor or whatever Nissan does. Lets hope all goes well! Does anybody know exactly what happens when they replace the motor?

Thanks
    Update?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Okay, so Newcastle Nissan in Nanaimo has had my Micra for a week now. Ive got a 2014 Rogue for a courtesy car. Last week they got the new long block assembly in and everything installed. However, during the test drive they started noticing some running problems during idle. They said it wasn't driveable. They brought the car back into the service shop and started troubleshooting. They have been on the phone with Nissan technicians trying to diagnose. Apparently the car was displaying the same check engine code as last time (random misfire detected) They are very confused. So it isnt out yet.

Thanks
    Bummer. Hope you get it back soon. (Or maybe not... how are you liking the Rogue compared to the Micra?)

Thanks
    Comfy ride, but not quite as eco friendly. Hope you get it back soon. If you can find out what went wrong, it would be nice if you can share.

Thx.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    well, the Rogue is a decent vehicle. I usually dont like automatic transmissions, but ill toss a thumbs up for the CVT system they have. Its so buttery smooth! the fuel economy isnt the best compared to the Micra (obviously) but considering the size of the vehicle, my mixed average of 8.3L per 100km seems pretty good. I would not buy one myself though. Its just not my type of vehicle. It is good though. great steering feel and awesome on the highway. Ill add that it also handles sheet ice and mud effectively too

As for the Micra, i just want it back soon. I plan on trading up to a 2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI comfortline. Its a hefty price, and ill only get $10,000 for the Micra on trade in, but i felt so much better behind the wheel of the Golf. Ill definitely let you guys know what they figure out at Nissan.