Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nissan Micra vs. Versa Note comparison ... Did you consider a Note?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    you want the Micra for sure. Versa.... The reason why it comes out Versa is really back down to 06-08 era when corolla, civic count as a compact, and Nissan pull this car, more roomy than those gen's civic & corolla, but count as a sub compact.

This gen's versa is much smaller than the previous one, and much more expensive. For this price, I can get a larger compact car for this price.

Thanks
    Another thing, try the rear seat for this gen's Micra, and Versa. Specially when you wearing your winter coat.

Thanks

Another member goes from Micra to Versa Note

Got this e-mail from a member (MicraJohn) who has traded up to a Note:

(Posted with permission)

I enjoyed the forum on the Micra but have since traded up to the Versa Note this year. I enjoyed the forum, it was always interesting to read.

Since the Micra was technically the wife's car I was not allowed to go farther than custom rims tinted windows and remote start and actually a trailer hitch. I had a small motorcycle trailer for when we traveled and went camping.

I was also a high mileage driver with the car racking up over 100,000 km in the first year alone.

So far the Versa Note has the remote starter and tinted windows.

The main reason for the change in vehicles was because of the mileage on the Micra, plus the extra room in the rear seat area. I am a large person and as I do fit in the rear seat but just. With the Versa Note there is no comparison in room.

Although I am not a big fan of the CVT transmission ( wife needs the automatic transmission ) I am getting used to it.

But as for the Micra, I did enjoy the drive and it was actually a fun car to drive. But my Micra also came with a few issues:

- First there was the front wheel bearing. That was an issue from the first oil change but they said it was not an issue. But it turned out to be an issue later. LOL

- Then there was some electrical issues. Ended up being a short on an electrical connection that was not covered by the extended warranty.

But other than that great car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neovision1981 View Post
    definitely no because the Note came with a CVT.
    I didn't like the CVT either. I previously had a Versa 2010 (before the note) and I ended up having lots of issues with. One of them was the dash rattling badly in winter because of the cold. When I test drove the Note on a not that cold fall evening, I heard a little rattle and it was all it took to discourage me. The Micra will occasionally make a few noises first thing in the morning if it's very cold but it's nowhere as bad as what I had with my Versa.

Thanks
    I don't own either, but I test drove both last Monday, back to back. Here's my thoughts on the two.
    Micra SV 5sp - FUN!! I love the feel of the 5 speed. There's a very positive feel when you shift into each gear, vs. the rather vague feel of some other cars in the segment. I like the way it shifts. I'm a hair (or a quarter inch of hairs) under 6 feet tall, and had no issues with leg or head room in the driver's seat. Telescopic steering would be nice, but for the price, what do you want?? The power to weight ratio is great. It has plenty of pep. Biggest down side to me was it being a bit noisy at highway speed. Not the worst in the segment by any means (looking at YOU, Chevy Spark), but not the greatest.
    Versa Note SV CVT - It's an appliance. I really like the gauge cluster - a LOT. The seats, I found a little more comfortable than the Micra, but negligible. Head room/leg room are close to the Micra from the driver's seat. I didn't like the steering feel at all. Found it very vague, didn't want to come back to centre, and would occasionally just start drifting in the lane, requiring a notable correction. But the worst thing about it was the CVT. There is just no response from it vs. the 5 speed in the Micra. Can't blame the engine, they're the same. It's all transmission. Maybe it would have been better with a stick. About 10 minutes into my test drive, I let out a sigh and said to myself ... I'm driving a refrigerator. It's an appliance. It rolls, it goes from point A to point B, but there is no life to it. It's purely utilitarian. And that disappointed me.

Anyway, those were my back to back driving impressions on the two vehicles. I drove the Hyundai Accent hatch right before (6 speed) and the Kia Rio5 (auto) right after. While I overall was most impressed with the Rio5, possibly because it was the quietest and had heated seats and steering, I'll admit, the Micra was still the most fun to drive of the bunch. I also drove the Chevy Spark yesterday ... and OMG I wasn't 200m down the road when I said "NOPE!" It's truly terrible. From flimsy doors that you have to slam shut to road noise that rivals a top-down convertible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WalkingBlackBear For This Useful Post:

Pete (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, WalkingBlackBear!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingBlackBear View Post
    The seats, I found a little more comfortable than the Micra
    Interesting! If I had to bet, I would have said they're the same seat.

the worst thing about it was the CVT. There is just no response from it vs. the 5 speed in the Micra. Can't blame the engine, they're the same. It's all transmission. Maybe it would have been better with a stick.
    Definitely would have been better with the manual. The CVT is good for a couple of things: fuel economy is far better than a slushbox automatic, and at highway speeds it drops RPM down quite low for pretty relaxed & quiet cruising. But I would always choose the stick myself.

overall was most impressed with the Rio5, possibly because it was the quietest and had heated seats and steering, I'll admit, the Micra was still the most fun to drive of the bunch.
    Interesting: I took a friend of mine car shopping and she said the same thing: Micra 5-speed was the most entertaining, the Rio was shockingly refined. But she ended up going with an Accent.

I also drove the Chevy Spark yesterday ... and OMG I wasn't 200m down the road when I said "NOPE!" It's truly terrible. From flimsy doors that you have to slam shut to road noise that rivals a top-down convertible.
    Brand new Spark? I read the redesigned version was supposed to be more refined than the Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome to the forum, WalkingBlackBear!
    Thanks!
    Interesting! If I had to bet, I would have said they're the same seat.
    I would have thought so too, since they were both SV trims ... but my posterior sensed a difference. Maybe it was all in my head though.
    Definitely would have been better with the manual. The CVT is good for a couple of things: fuel economy is far better than a slushbox automatic, and at highway speeds it drops RPM down quite low for pretty relaxed & quiet cruising. But I would always choose the stick myself.
    Ditto. The CVT does a bit better with mileage, but at the cost of removing ALL fun from the commute. Sales guys always give me that puzzled dog head tilt look when you ask them if they have anything in stock with a stick. "You WANT a manual??" Heard that 4 times at 4 dealers in one morning. lol

Interesting: I took a friend of mine car shopping and she said the same thing: Micra 5-speed was the most entertaining, the Rio was shockingly refined. But she ended up going with an Accent.
    Maybe the Hyundai guys gave her a better deal. They're mostly the same car ... just different styling and interiors at the end of it all. Same motor/trans combos.
    Brand new Spark? I read the redesigned version was supposed to be more refined than the Micra.
    Yep. New 2018. Other than the better sound system/bigger screen/CarPlay+Android Auto setup (with a capacitive screen that DOES NOT WORK if you are wearing gloves ... is this Canada?? Do we not winter here??) it's overall really terrible. I suppose I'd give it an edge in the look/feel of the interior ... but that all goes away once you put it in gear and start moving.

So I'm fairly convinced at this point that I'm going to put a Micra in my driveway later this year. Just wish I could get an S with AC and the 5 speed. Why you can get an S auto with AC, but not the stick boggles my brain cell. Why to manufacturers (all of them, no exceptions) enjoy punishing those of us who prefer a manual transmission??? IE: no more 5 speed with the SR trim! WHY???? Can't we want all of the equipment of the top trim AND a manual?? The one thing that makes me the most insane when looking at cars right now. And so far, only Hyundai has offered to dealer install AC on a base trim. Problem is, they charge almost as much as it is to go to the mid-trim version anyway! But at least they'd do it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingBlackBear View Post
    Maybe the Hyundai guys gave her a better deal. They're mostly the same car
    Yes - year end special on a 2017. So it's not the new version. Probably for the best -- buying the first year of a new model invites problems.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

WalkingBlackBear (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    re Versa seats...... They look like the ones in the Micra..... Both cars are made at the same plant with the same sub contractors....And yet.......... And yet when I sat in the Versa it felt less comfortable. I think the general ergonomics of the Versa is possibly the problem. I could not find the right position in the Versa and I may well have said "Must be the seat." No way would I have bought a Versa. Overall the drivers position did not fit my average frame. I liked the roomy back seat and bigger cargo area.