Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: adding a cabin air filter (no filter present from the factory)

Thanks
    http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=CF10709

I installed this guy I the other day Fram Fresh Breeze CF10709. Was a bit rigid but I just crushed them and fit like a charm. Was harder to contort my body to actually get in there. Local Lordco had it on sale for 25$...big difference in filtering outside smells now. Glad I looked at this thread ☺

Thanks
    I watched the video link & verified my car does not have a filter installed (2016 SV)
    I was pretty sure it didn't as I do drive on dusty roads & the car does get dirty inside.
    I went to Lordco today & was told the CF10709 Filter was 35$ so I showed them the above post
    & they sold it to me for 25$
    I managed to get the filter installed but it was difficult.
    I kept thinking its way too big to fit & had to bend the filter on the edge being inserted a lot
    & then it just popped into place. Hopefully its not too hard to remove later.
    I found the same filter at Canadian tire for 2$ more than the "sale" price at Lordco.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    I would just like to say how much I appreciate all the info in this forum! One question though, can anyone tell me which direction the air is flowing in this area please? Is it front to back or visa versa? I purchased the Fram CF10709 and it's definitely directional. Thank you.

Thanks
    I installed mine with Air Flow to the rear thinking it would filter the air going to the evaporator plus I didn't know where the blower fan was located. After checked the WSM I now see the blower motor (Item 4) is in the "Heating & Cooling" unit not buried up under the dash.
    I pulled the filter cover off (Item 20) with the fan set at high speed & air spilled out not sucked in so now I believe the air flow is toward the front.
    I also found a picture showing the Blower motor air flow is pushed through the evaporator (at rear of filter cavity)
    not pulled through.
    I tried to remove my filter to reinstall it but it started to tear so I guess it will stay that way till next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    I installed mine with Air Flow to the rear thinking it would filter the air going to the evaporator plus I didn't know where the blower fan was located. After checked the WSM I now see the blower motor (Item 4) is in the "Heating & Cooling" unit not buried up under the dash.
    I pulled the filter cover off (Item 20) with the fan set at high speed & air spilled out not sucked in so now I believe the air flow is toward the front.
    I also found a picture showing the Blower motor air flow is pushed through the evaporator (at rear of filter cavity)
    not pulled through.
    I tried to remove my filter to reinstall it but it started to tear so I guess it will stay that way till next time.
    Wow! I bet you most people naturally thought (as I did) that it flowed front to back (through this cavity), as some videos/forums are instructing to do the opposite of what you say??
    *This link is for a Versa mind you but, I'm guessing the design is the same...seems to be anyways. But, of course, I could be wrong. Notice his instructions (after his pics) with regards to arrow direction on filter.
    http://www.nissanversaforums.com/how...rsa-sedan.html

Thanks for the technical info. Not that I doubt you but, I would like to see others weigh in on this.

Not the best design, having it positioned (vertically) like this...as opposed to most cars I know of, which have it sitting horizontally behind glove box. This makes so much more sense technically...where the arrow always points DOWN (of course), since the dirt/debris from incoming air would get trapped on TOP of it - with additional help from gravity! A no-brainer really!

Again, I would love to see what others think of this...

FRONT-TO-BACK? or BACK-TO-FRONT? for air flow through this cavity.

Thanks
    OK for the 2nd time today I crawled under the dash & removed the air filter cover to check for flow direction.
    Since the filter is loose in the cavity I pushed it toward the front of the car & it moved backward to the rear when the blower was set on high.
    So it appears my initial guess was right & the air does flow front to rear, sorry for any confusion I caused!
    It would be nice if the above "System Diagram" showed the cabin air filter placement (before or after evaporator).
    At least show it and say "optional", it's like they don't want to acknowledge it exists.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    not pulled through.
    Hey Jim, I just tried the same "blow test" you did (minus filter) - PLUS stuck my fingers inside, and noticed that the air seems to be getting sucked TOWARDS the evaporator at the rear of the cavity? This seems to be even more evident whenever the air intake lever is positioned to the LEFT "outside air circulation"...which of course would be the filter's "working position", since the point of having one would be to filter the "outside air". And so THIS position would be the "true" position to test flow direction in my opinion. Where was your lever positioned? Just curious.

Also, how did you come to your conclusion? Since the housing cover's opening (where you positioned your hand I'm assuming) is "perpendicular" to the filter's pleated surfaces, and so one could not determine flow direction this way...the air would simply "spill out" (as you say) of the cavity regardless of actual direction, whether it be backwards or forward. Hence my decision to stick my fingers in to get a better feel for it.

I can identify the items you mentioned, but cannot really decipher how everything would be FINALLY positioned and how the system would function (based on these drawings anyways). I wish I could though! Ha ha...

Anyways, I'm very eager to hear from others.

Thanks
    Great! Sorry about my last post (08:21pm)! Looks like we were typing at the same time! LOL. Great idea with the observation of filter physically moving! Never thought of that. Thanks for the "recrawl" Ha ha...
    Last edited by markarita; 12-05-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Went to local dealer for curiosity...the filter they had was 27278-1KK0A ($49.28!!!) before taxes! Absolutely insane...
    Returned the FRAM CF10709 (carbon-filled)...found it too stiff to work with...found 2 perfect matches to the Nissan for MUCH less.

- ECOGARD XC10475 (the one I ended up using) just over $7
    - WIX WP10277 $23
    Last edited by markarita; 12-06-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    Not to dig up an old post but rockauto carries the filter.... Maybe the lack of filter is why the heater works so good!