Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convenience package head unit aggravations!

Thanks

Angry Inconvenience package head unit headaches!

As I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon from my USB stick, I noticed that each and every song was in perfect order. All my other album folders get scrambled, but consistently so they're in the same scrambled order. I checked the names, dates, and exif data, made everything the same, but nothing would bring those other albums in order. I don't get it; this is maddening. Everything else I have plays these files in proper order (all songs are prefixed with a number).

Another issue is, if I have my phone connected to the line in, the bluetooth stops receiving incoming calls and text messages properly. I have to connect it this way because there's no bluetooth streaming or USB connectivity to either my android nor my windows phones.

Finally, there's the issue that if I'm listening to a CD or MP3 and I receive a call via Bluetooth, the CD or MP3 behaves as though it's continuing to "Play," so if I'm on a long phone call, I could end up missing most of an album or podcast. The issue is particularly maddening with audiobooks or podcasts because there's no rewind feature in the playback controls.

Hopefully, Nissan can figure out how to do a firmware update. Anyone else hear of anything?

Last edited by AlphaMicra; 11-16-2014 at 06:16 PM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I noticed that when ever I put my iphone plugged in it's playing the songs in a different order, but that's my Iphone shuffle feature I guess. Does your phone do the same thing if you plug it on speakers instead of the car?

I don't have any problem to receive a phone call while listening to music, no matter where it's from.

But I will have to check for the pause, because I could swear that mine resume the song where it left. It does seem to pause and restart from where I left. I will have to double check it but this is what I remember.

Are you sure your problem are with the car and not with the phone? I would try pairing another phone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    As I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon from my USB stick, I noticed that each and every song was in perfect order. All my other album folders get scrambled, but consistently so they're in the same scrambled order. I checked the names, dates, and exif data, made everything the same, but nothing would bring those other albums in order. I don't get it; this is maddening. Everything else I have plays these files in proper order (all songs are prefixed with a number).

Another issue is, if I have my phone connected to the line in, the bluetooth stops receiving incoming calls and text messages properly. I have to connect it this way because there's no bluetooth streaming or USB connectivity to either my android nor my windows phones.

Finally, there's the issue that if I'm listening to a CD or MP3 and I receive a call via Bluetooth, the CD or MP3 behaves as though it's continuing to "Play," so if I'm on a long phone call, I could end up missing most of an album or podcast. The issue is particularly maddening with audiobooks or podcasts because there's no rewind feature in the playback controls.

Hopefully, Nissan can figure out how to do a firmware update. Anyone else hear of anything?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Of course it works fine with an iPhone via USB, you get that blue iPod menu. The problem is with a Windows or Android phone; connect it to USB, and it doesn't play with it, so the only option is the line in with these phones. However, the line in means the bluetooth stops working properly, so I use a USB stick, which it reads and plays, but there's the issue of song order.

I resent being forced into paying too much and locking into a long term contract for an inferior smart phone just to get proper operation. I'll change the head unit first.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Android and windows is the inferior phone!!!! Iphone is the only phone to have and once you jailbreak it iphone will do anything

Thanks
    IPhones are for sheeple who want a two or three year contract and want to pay a major carrier too much for a pittance and take it in the hoop when they blow their cap.

Thanks
    No problems with my blackberry.. lolz. .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I should elaborate. With my old Android phone, and now my Windows phone, I get unlimited Canada-wide text, talk, and voicemail for $30 per month. Since I own my Windows/Android phones, I'm not under contract, and don't have to pay the "Phone from Rogers/Bell" tax. I use wi-fi for data, and if I need data and don't have wi-fi, I can buy it for a dollar a day, or five bucks a week, or ten bucks for a month. When I've used it up, the data shuts off; no overage charges. My average cost, for two smart phones, is usually around $70 per month after taxes.

If I bought an iPhone 6, I'd have to pay $264.99 up front for the phone, and agree to a two year contract...but I couldn't go for that sweet unlimited $30 per month plan; the minimum plan will cost $60 per month, but that only gives me unlimited Canada wide after 6pm; I'm limited to 500 minutes before then, and get to pay Rogers handsomely if I go over that 500 minute limit. There's a 300MB cap, and if I go over that by even a single megabyte, it's an extra $15.

Over two years, an extra $30 per month adds up to $720. Add $264.99, and that's $984.99 just for the privilege of owning an iPhone 6. An iPhone that isn't waterproof, shockproof, has no means of expansion, and is difficult to change the battery. For $300 less, I can buy a similarly equipped, top-of-the-line Android (Samsung, LG, Sony) or Windows phone (Nokia, HTC). But here's where it gets good: There are highly competitive and well-featured Windows and Android phones than can be had for less than $200.

But that's not even the best part. In the Android market, there are some really cool phones that Apple doesn't offer at any price, like the shockproof, freezeproof, waterproof, dustproof Casio G'zOne Commando. A little light on features, but an all-weather guy like me would prefer a phone engineered for harsh environments instead of depending on a bulky case. Or, for a little more money, there's the CAT S50 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active.

No jailbreaking, no contract, no lube needed, greater selection and choice of phones, it's hard to believe people still buy into the hype and get an overpriced, boring iPhone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    No problems with my blackberry.. lolz. .
    Huh...this got me thinking, so I tested my wife's older Android phone, and it worked fine.

I dug a little deeper, and it looks like modern Android and Windows phones use the MTP protocol instead of mounting as mass storage devices, and Apple has its own protocol.

http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/andr...-mass-storage/

Clearly, the Micra only supports Apple's proprietary standard and mass storage device only. Without Bluetooth streaming, that leaves the line in, which interferes with the phone's ability to read me text messages via Bluetooth.

For those of you wise enough to steer clear of the inconvenience package, Pioneer apparently supports MTP:

http://www.cnet.com/news/2014-pionee...roid-over-usb/

Pretty inexpensive, too:
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E...=renewtopia-20

No bluetooth, though. This one seems to have it all, for twice the money: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009...=renewtopia-20

Yep, I should've listened to my instinct and avoided the inconvenience package. I'll wait for a bit and see if a firmware update might come from Nissan and put my podcasts and music on an USB mass storage drive for now.

Thanks
    So in your car you have a small sized radio then? Mine is much bigger to accomodate the rearview camera. I am glad I have this package though, because I do have a boring Iphone (jailbroken) and everything works great with the Micra.

I only wish there would be a GPS in there. That's my only gripe. The bluetooth voice command is working awesome too. No problem making a phone call to any number while driving on the highway. I don't see any inconvenience, at least there are none for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yup, mine's the same head unit, with the backup camera display that washes out in direct sunlight. I could live with that and the lack of Bluetooth streaming if it supported MTP.