Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, and a question

Thanks

Hello, and a question

Hi, I just got my new white Micra SR 2 weeks ago and I was wondering about oil change during break in period. The dealer says 6 months or 8000 km, but is it safe? I would rather have it change at 1500km or so. Now I am at 945km total.

Also does the Micra come originally with synthetic oil or regular? I really don't want to spend the winter with regular oil so I will definitly change it if it is regular.

So far I like the car a lot. I did have a problem with it and with the dealer as I have a thear in the driver seat and they want to repair it. I want to have the cover replaced. After all it's a brand new car and I don't think a thear is acceptable for a brand new car! The cover cost 306$ plus installation. They told me it cost 1500$ to change that! I think they are bull****ting me. hmmm...

Beside that little problem, everything else is great so far. I have ordered Nokian Hakkapelita tires and 15 inches rims for the winter because I don't want to spend the winter with my mag wheels on and it will be easier to change back and forth from winter to regular tires in the future.

I had a stripe installed and the mirrors and door handles are also red. I love the color accents on this car! I love the european look of it as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi, and welcome fellow Montrealer(one of several that joined just this weekend i think). It's going to be up to you but if your planning to change to synthetic i would wait until you've done your 2000km break in at least. As far as every 8000km, it's scary but i believe it. There is an oil change thread on this site with many other opinions. Nice that you got the red on white accents.
    That's too bad your having problems with your dealer, just stand your ground and i'm sure everything will be alright. Do you mind i ask which dealer?

Thanks
    It's Park Avenue Brossard.

So far the saleman has been useless. I left him 3 messages and he never replied, so I called the sale director and he had the service call me back and arrange an appointment to check it. I just don't want that they repair it and a few years later it thear open. I plan on keeping it for a long time. My last car was a Ford Probe 89 that I bought in 88 so I had it for 26 years! I rented it from Nissan for 5 years contract and I was planning to buy it back at the end, but not sure if I will if the seat is dammaged. I could buy the cover and install it myself for 306$ plus taxes, that's what the dealer is asking for it.

I went to pick up my car and it was dark so I did not notice the thear. I wish I had but it was just too dark to see even with the car light ON. Oh well.

They were great doing my stripe and all, but they forgot to put on the red handle covers, so I will have this installed when I go for the winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnskers View Post
    Do you mind i ask which dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sales won't do anything for you at this point. Lets just hope service pulls through for you.
    Sell your story too it will help, when i wen't back to my dealer concerned about something i mentioned about how it could affect the car(leased, that i want to keep also) 10 years down the road they really appreciated it and were very helpful.
    Anyway, only time will tell(Everything takes a while)

Thanks
    Hi, dani3d. Welcome/bienvenue!

I plan on keeping it for a long time. My last car was a Ford Probe 89 that I bought in 88 so I had it for 26 years!
    Wow. So does that make the Micra your second car?

Given how long you plan to keep it, I would personally go in for an early oil change. Even if it's not in the service schedule, the dealership will be happy to take your money if you insist.

Johnskers, you're right - QC is dominating lately!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I consider the 8,000km oil change to be the absolute maximum. I would wait until at least 7,000km, unless you're going to be travelling. 7,500km is a safe bet. It's a tight and well-built engine, so the oil doesn't seem to have to work as hard.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    yes the Probe was my first car. I gave it to the dealer for 800$. There was lots of little things that where a problem, so it would have cost about 5k to have it back into shape.

I have my appointment in 2 weeks, so we'll see.

Thanks
    I waited till 8000 km to change to oil as that's what the dealer suggested
    I checked the oil before I took it in and to be honest it still looked clean
    like anything really depends on how hard you drive the car
    I don't do fast starts off the line and I try to kept it around 110-115 on the highway

Thanks
    Do you know if they put synthetic oil originaly? I surely don't want to spend the winter with regular oil. It's easier to start an engine in extreme cold with synthetic oil. I wonder how the car will behave in -25C or -30C

Thanks
    I think the dealership uses regular oil, not 100% sure I didn't ask
    I would use the block heater on a timer if your worried about cold temp starts
    where I live I rarely see temps -25 or colder unless you factor in the wind chill
    if it does get that cold I will use the block heater set to come on 1 hour before I plan to leave
    might not make a huge difference but should help