Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks

Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Ive had the car a little under 2 months now with a little less than 1200km on it. It has been making a weird knocking noise id say every few times its started and i begin to drive. When i accelerate at extremly low speeds anywhere between 5km-15km/hr is when its most prominent and its NOT every time. Ive brought the car into the dealership multiple times already just to be told that they cant duplicate the sound, how convenient of an excuse! I really do enjoy the little car but if this is a sign of things too come im going to feel as if ive been duped for $16000 by Nissan Canada. Also does anyone else notice the Atrocious noise that the A/C makes when first turning on the compressor? LOUDEST A/C EVER!

---

Admin edit:

See the following post for very detailed instructions on how to demonstrate the potential knocking problem:

Unofficial engine knock test procedure

Last edited by MetroMPG; 07-10-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: (added info)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

Antruby (12-28-2014),astroz0mbies (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    The A/C is very loud, as are other aspects of the engine. In the tradition of every other Micra that has come before, there is little to no sound deadening material. The compressor is startlingly loud when it comes on for the first time; I've tested this in other brand new Micra's on the lot, and it's exactly the same. I think what you might be hearing at startup are the injectors.

Personally, I enjoy hearing every aspect of the engine. While alarming at first, I have become accustomed to the various sounds and know what to expect, so now if something is not working right, I should be able to hear it before it becomes something major.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

astroz0mbies (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks at least i know the A/C noise is a normal thing with these cars now! As for the engine knock it almost sounds too me like Piston Slap.. Its almost like a "ta ta ta ta ta" noise until the car changes from 1st too 2nd. Its an Automatic btw!

Thanks
    No ideas whatsoever as to what it is? Does the car seem to shudder or shake when it produces this noise?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Do you have a GoPro or digital camera? Put in in the car for your start-ups to capture the elusive noise for the dealer?

PS - welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Its not even during the start-ups, it starts perfectly fine. Its while im actually starting to accelerate from 0 the noise starts just for a second or two until the car changes from 1st too 2nd, its almost like it struggles to change gears and holds onto first for too long and makes a knocking noise? But its strange because it does not do it everytime i go to drive the car? i dunno im no mechanic but i think i know a bad sound when i hear it! I will try to get a vid with my iphone but im not sure how good the quailty will be or if youd even be able to hear it.

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks
    See if the sound relates to RPM's. It's quite possible that it's there during the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, but the wind and road noise at those speeds drown it out.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Robm, out of curiosity what part of the country are you in?

Also, does the noise happen when going in a straight line or around a corner or both? (I can't see it being an axle/CV joint, but worn ones make a clicking/knocking sound when accelerating from low speed, but only while turning.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just for clarification, piston slap is a very specific condition which is easily identified; it can be heard the loudest when the engine is first started and is idling cold, and goes away (or at least becomes greatly reduced) as the engine warms up. I had it in my Neon. The condition you're describing doesn't sound like piston slap. Nissan pretty much perfected the 1.6L back in the 80's and it's been a bread and butter engine for them for so long, I'd be very surprised if any problems you might be experiencing could be attributed to the engine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Its not even during the start-ups, it starts perfectly fine. Its while im actually starting to accelerate from 0 the noise starts just for a second or two until the car changes from 1st too 2nd, its almost like it struggles to change gears and holds onto first for too long and makes a knocking noise? But its strange because it does not do it everytime i go to drive the car? i dunno im no mechanic but i think i know a bad sound when i hear it! I will try to get a vid with my iphone but im not sure how good the quailty will be or if youd even be able to hear it.

Thanks for the welcome!
    I have heard it too, but only a couple times, and mine is a manual. Kind of a knocking or clunking sound when just starting off. It does kinda sound like a worn CV joint would or a loose/worn motor mount or suspension part.

I wonder if it might be the traction control deciding what to do... starting off slowly/smoothly and maybe a tire slips a bit on an oily spot.

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...