Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Here i have more usefull data that will help to understand the size of this problem better.
    Tech told me that they where using the rod bearing size according to the code for each conrod attachment to the crank and despite that clearence was wrong.
    After that told me factory has made recently new technical tips about this.
    Thats why they are meassuring EVERYTHING and thats why they have to order new size bearings because the ones suggested by nissan DOES NOT MEET THE CLEARENCE.
    So in my opinion thats why almost every engine knock.
    Stock 100% brand new part dont meet the factory aceptable clearence.
    He gave me his word the repair will be flawless.
    But after that information i can say there is 0 QC in the factory and they dont give a damn about the quality of the engines they are building.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-27-2016 at 03:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi, first post here. I've been lurking on this thread. I have a new 2015 Micra S. (from Montreal)

So they figure that installing correct sized rod bearings will fix the issue permanently? If they figure this out, I will be much relieved and will consider getting mine done at that point. I figure it's useless making a big fuss now if the current "fix" is just to install new bad parts.

Keep us updated!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Luki_qc View Post
    Hi, first post here. I've been lurking on this thread. I have a new 2015 Micra S. (from Montreal)

So they figure that installing correct sized rod bearings will fix the issue permanently? If they figure this out, I will be much relieved and will consider getting mine done at that point. I figure it's useless making a big fuss now if the current "fix" is just to install new bad parts.

Keep us updated!
    replaceing only rod bearings is not the best fix because there is damage on the crank and also metal fatigue on cylinder 2 conrod because of the knock, these engines throw the rod because of metal fatigue.
    every crankshaft on this engines comes with a code were each rod bearing goes, that code gives the rod bearing size to use.
    they told me that after fixing the suggested (by nissan procedure) rod bearing size the clearence was wrong in 2 main bearings.
    so after knowing exactly how bad the clearence was they ordered "correct" size rod bearing to have an aceptable clearence value.
    i was told that by this codes is how they assembly the engines in the factory, so, is very clear why the engines are knocking.
    they promissed that the engine will be well built, with all good clearenced and knock free.
    so if you want to keep the car, i suggest you go to the dealer and ask them how they think this issue has to be fixed, i really trust the techs that are working on my engine and i agree with them this is a good solution.
    also asked them what happen if even with new rod bearing size clearences are wrong, they told me they will request another new crank and 4 new conrods and try again, as i said before, i really trust these guys, they are trying to do things the right way, saddly they have to deal with low quality parts and/or incorrect codes on parts.
    Luki_qc, do you have video of your car knock???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I do, I will upload tomorrow. It's subtle, but it is there. A machinegun/diesel motor knock between 2k-3k rpm.

Regardless, this is one awesome little car. Hopefully everything will turn out fine. We have no plans of getting rid of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luki_qc For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (01-27-2016)

Thanks
    yes thats the knock saddly.
    took it to the dealer and ask them about the problem to see what they tell you and how they plan to fix it.
    good to hear you have a video.

Thanks
    I am in Tampa, Florida USA and have a 2015 Nissan Versa with 30000 miles. I could remember hearing a tapping noise since new but never really thought much of it. Now, it sounds like the rod is ready to come out. I want to go to the dealer but I am not sure how to even approach things since I do my own oil changes and some receipts are missing. Should I just sell the car instead or trade it in for something else while it still drives?

Thanks
    trailrated, try to obtain the missing receips, as far as i know in north america if you can prove you have done all oil changes you will have warranty.
    the engine has the rod knock for sure, so go to the dealer, if they denny the problem, show them this thread.
    please let us know how things are going with your car.

Thanks
    well, today i was able to obtain a video from a very early 2012 march with 77k km.
    here is video

as you can hear, there is not a single sign of metalic knock, and even the engine noise has almost no rumble, that engine sounds very healthy and very quiet and smooth, as all of them should sound.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-30-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    I haven't gone to the dealer yet because they will not give me a loaner car. I am 20, but the minimum age for a loaner car is 21. Hopefully the car will last until April. Also, I found this video of what the old HR16DE engines sounded like.

Thanks
    well, that hr16de is probably made in japan or uk, because first gen note was only build on those 2 countries.
    sounds good.
    also on the us versa forum there is a guy with an old hr16 with more than 180k miles knock free.
    the mexican made hr16de is pure crap, here you have a video from a 2013 versa with the valve guide noise problem.
    is on a very advanced stage because engine has 50k km and he thought was normal lol, i have heard brand new engines with this problem and noise is not that loud.

listen carefully, deep in the background there is an intermitent metalic tapping noise, thats the valve guide problem, at 0.48-0.49 is very audible

also these engines have premature oil consumption, around 100k km start to burn a lot of oil, here on forum a guy had his engine replaced because of this at 30k km, that probably was to early, but i have heard from several people about this problem.

here is another guy from mexico, 2015 march, 7700km, also had the water pump problem at 4000km, and now performed the knock test, positive result.
    test was not 100% done right, but at 1.06-1.08 you can hear the knock.

there is also a guy with a 2016 mode with less than 2k km that thinks he has the knock, will record a video soon and send it to me and i will share here.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-31-2016 at 11:43 PM.