Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    wow all of you have been very lucky.
    here they dony pay anything, this overhaul will be taking more than 2 weeks without of the car, never had a car so long on the workshop and this is my first brand new car, has been more time on the worhsop than on the road lol.
    there were a lot of customer when i went to dealer, so they show me old internals very briefly, so had no time to take picture.
    but here you have a picture so you can have an idea what i saw.
    rod bearings and cranckshaft were like brand new on cylinder 1 3 and 4 (tech said that ALL cylinder had some degree of defective assembly, i guess they measure all of them, but at first glance i couldnt see any damage on 1 3 and 4).
    on cylinder 2 rod bearing was like brand new EXCEPT for the area circled in red in picture
    Name:  mnYmtoR.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  74.3 KB
    was like that
    same goes for crank.
    both ends where damaged like in circled are area in picture.
    tech also showed me where the problem is and how they measure (this is ordeder by nissan to confirm the problem, because this is the root of it).
    problem is improper attachment between rod and cap, no matter how strong you try to tighten, parts wont fit properly.
    Name:  uUG4bTY.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  11.6 KB

hope to have the car ready this week so i can trade it in and share a video if the overhaul goes well as expected.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-23-2016 at 11:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

So the reason Nissan canada is limiting the loaner is because I did not purchase the extended warranty. $35 /day vs $1300 or whatever it was for the extended warranty seems I'm still up. But, this is kinda of ridiculous.

I mean, had I known my car would require a new engine I would have factored that in, but you don't really think that a brand new car would require a lengthy stay at a service centre. Am I right?

I feel that I purchased transportation from Nissan, now my transportation is interrupted through no fault of my own.
    I'm gonna call Nissan canada about this.

On the bright side, I'm rather enjoyin this frontier I have from enterprise.
    Personally I prefer standard, and better fuel economy.
    For $20 ( 21.5ltr) I got just over 1/4 tank, that got me back from Guelph ( to mississauga) and around town aliittle.
    So far I'd say it's basically double the consumption.

Which really if you think about it isn't bad, it's a 4ltr v6 weighting about 1500kg
    It's has 2 wheel and 4 wheel hi/lo.

More space side to side but less front to back.

I kinda like it, but don't see it being useful to me.
    I have no space to put stuff. If i owned this truck is need a cab on the back, at least

But too much $$ on gas insurance and such to be viable for me.

I've only come up with one useful thing I can do with it so far... Finally taking my scrap metal to the scrap yard.. Lol thanks nissan

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

So I'm confused. My engine fixed and road tested. Nissan is happy with sub 180psi compression test. *scratchs head*
    I have the hr16de manual and it shows for the 9.8:1 Cr hr16de differently. But they says it's to spec.

I'm looking right at my compression test gauge and if the minimum reading is 184psi in the manual but my highest is 181psi I'm effectively running a 8.5:1 cr engine, not a 9.8:1 ...

I want to know why they say it's in spec when the book says it's out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

See attached :

The thing with a comp test is you keep cranking till it stops so it's not like the manual is 6 cranks and Nissan did 4 so I don't get it. And at 200/rpm 2 seconds is about 7 times . So ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    so despite the compression "issue", is the new short block knock free???
    which engine number does new short block have??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

I'll find out tmw when I pick it up.

Hahahahaha still has the same noise... Quieter .. But it's still there in the same rev range. So I'll do my oil change, mention it to them, wait for second oil change see if it gets louder, if it does, next engine please. I'm Gunnar call Nissan about the comp test. They were all 180psi +/- 1 psi. But minimum by the FSM I found says 184psi is the minimum. But Nissan says it's to spec.
    If that is the correct spec for the micra, then it's hard to believe that it's a true 9.8:1 CR.

Engine code 739242L

Thanks
    Well there was a very high possibility to the new engine to still knock.
    Sad to hear that.
    In my case car wont be ready in near future lol.
    Today they were meassuring crank to bearing clearence and was wrong.
    So they had to oder special rod bearing size to factory.
    They say this will take 2 weeks, also the crank was going to take 2 weeks and in the end were 3 month.
    This is a *****ing nightmare.
    I really wish this to be acomplished.
    The same day i get the car back i will go and trade it in i dont care of they give me 1 dollar, thats fair for me.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-27-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
    Well there was a very high possibility to the new engine to still knock.
    Sad to hear that.
    In my case car wont be ready in near future lol.
    Today they were meassuring crank to bearing clearence and was wrong.
    So they had to oder special rod bearing size to factory.
    They say this will take 2 weeks, also the crank was going to take 2 weeks and in the end were 3 month.
    This is a *****ing nightmare.
    I really wish this to be acomplished.
    The same day i get the car back i will go and trade it in i dont care of they give me 1 dollar, thats fair for me.
    I will gladly give you $1.00 USD for your car. If your happy with that so am I.

I contacted Nissan canada to confirm micra compression test limits.

When reviewing my results my lowest reading is almost 14.5psi the minimum acceptable limit.

I wonder if they are interpreting the differential between cyl limit, as the below spec limit?

But so far the over the phone answer was "those are ball park figures, rough guidelines, If the tech says they are good, there good."