Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    kinda useless statistic, imo, as it will be way overrepresented.

newcomers in this forum would generally register with us because they have issues, less so because of plain jane enthusiasm

Thanks
    I can look up the stat, but it's probably not scientific... representative of the entire Canadian Micra fleet.

Welcome Azadeht. Glad you found us... too bad the motivation was due to problems. Are you sure your noise is the internal engine issue and not the plastic piece in the engine bay that some people have had? Just checking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Garage stats as of today:

112 Micras/Marches in our garage...

107 Micras. Of those, looks like 2 are international (Netherlands, India).

5 Marches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (09-16-2015)

Thanks
    Just reading through these postings and for what it is worth, I use 91 grade gas and it seem to smooth out the rat-tat-tat of the engine. I don't think that this is a refined engine. It is course and when accelerating, it can really scream especially up in the 4-5k rpms where all the power resides. Some of the noise might be because it is chain driven and there is no insulation. But I contend, that the premium fuel smoothed out the rattle sounds at idle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.0 L/100 km ... 35.4 mpg (Imp) ... 12.5 km/L ... 29.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sorry Dwight but whatever rattling your hearing is not the same issue being discussed in this thread.. This is more of a distinct knocking(Think an aluminum baseball bat banging the top side of your engine) and is caused because of faulty rod components. Thanks for the insight tho!
    Last edited by Robm6981; 09-13-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Sorry Dwight but whatever rattling your hearing is not the same issue being discussed in this thread.. This is more of a distinct knocking(Think an aluminum baseball bat banging the top side of your engine) and is because of faulty rod components. Thanks for the insight tho!
    +1
    also rob think is a good idea if you can get in touch with that show you say investigate shady things done by companys.
    here every day on auto sales website appear a march with 2-3k km for sale, i have gone to see some of them, and what a coincidence, all of them had the knock, lol, with the prices car have here (20k american dollars the march) you dont buy a car to sell it after 2 or 3 month of use.
    the plastic tap or the bad quality fuel noise has NOTHING to do with the rod knock some engines have.
    you can see oficial nissan report on page 18 and also find a lot of videos of the knock.
    azadeht, if the rattle is more noticeable between 1800-3000rpm with engine warm and light load on accelerator 99% sure is the rod knock.
    you are in caglary, i think rob is from that city too, maybe he can tell you which dealer fixed his problem.
    ps. you have pm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Typically, high compression engines need higher octane fuel to prevent detonation.. The HR16DE has a fairly low compression ratio (9.8~). The quieter top end is likely a placebo effect. We have 8 injectors in this car, its a noisy top end. Ill touch more on fuel types in another thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No placebo about it anonymous. Your replacement motor is still new but once it is broke in give the new shell v-power a try. By the third tank you can actually feel the difference. The thing runs smooth and quiet on it. To be fair to Dwight in a non knocking HR16DE shell v-power quiets down this thing and it genuinely runs better. Thanks to Impul for turning me on to it.I use it in everything I own with a carburetor from my weedwacker and chainsaw to my motorcycle which has a high CR dry sump motor and it loves it.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Typically, high compression engines need higher octane fuel to prevent detonation.. The HR16DE has a fairly low compression ratio (9.8~). The quieter top end is likely a placebo effect. We have 8 injectors in this car, its a noisy top end. Ill touch more on fuel types in another thread.
    Anonymus, can you post a comparative video under same cirunstances with your new engine??
    Recording from below the engine, at operating temperature and make the knock test which of course will report a normal sounding engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (09-16-2015)

Thanks
    It might not be verbaitum as I no longer own an iphone.. Thats what i recorded it on originallly. But I will try to do it with my new one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...