Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    For spun bearings, yes. I have seen some that become more prominent with the engine heated, depending on what the connecting rod is made of. The big end wraps around the crank, and typically the crank is a much more resistant metal. Depending on how the bearing is worn, it can oblong the bearing. When the engine is cold the metal can contract and cause a tighter fit around the crank. When its heated, the connecting rod expands a little larger then the crank itself and cause a smidgen of a gap (like 1000ths of an inch), and its usually cushioned by oil coming through a journal in the crank so there is no noise. But if the gap is too large, you will hear it smack into the connecting rod on the power stroke, and sometimes when another piston hits its power stroke as the crank is suddenly pulled away from the crank. The bearing isnt really a bearing like you would think in the sense of a wheel bearing, but its more of a race that rides around a smoothed portion of the crank.

But what I keep scratching my head over is the way this one works.. In that specific RPM range. I've seen a lot of 5.7l vortecs with spun bearings and usually right from start up and through the range, you will hear the knock.

I don't know if running synthetic would help at all. I suppose really all we can do at this point is wait until the wear increases and we have something more concrete to work with. It's not like I can do with my old chev and dodge and just pull the oil pan and check the bottom of each rod for play. Not so simple when dealing with warranty covered bits..
    great explanation bro.
    since i am not a native english speaker sometimes i am not able to find the correct words, your explanation is great and very accurate.
    here nissan uses full synthetic oil i think, no difference, engine is knocking louder every day

Last edited by gonzagnr; 11-14-2014 at 10:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It's surely very worrying. I hope things turn out good for you two and that they replace your engine. Now I am glad I rented mine, even if it's not having this problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Even with this problem, we have.. 5 that we know about? I had my vape, and a coffee and thought about the numbers..

Acording to the CTYD.. (Calender year to date) Nissan has sold 6063 micras in Canada. and we have 5, worldwide reported with engine issues..

Thats .00082467% failure rate. And honestly, thats pretty frickin excellent for any car.

(source if anyones intrested: http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/c...canadian-sales )
    Last edited by Howie; 11-15-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added reference

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    For spun bearings, yes. I have seen some that become more prominent with the engine heated, depending on what the connecting rod is made of. The big end wraps around the crank, and typically the crank is a much more resistant metal. Depending on how the bearing is worn, it can oblong the bearing. When the engine is cold the metal can contract and cause a tighter fit around the crank. When its heated, the connecting rod expands a little larger then the crank itself and cause a smidgen of a gap (like 1000ths of an inch), and its usually cushioned by oil coming through a journal in the crank so there is no noise. But if the gap is too large, you will hear it smack into the connecting rod on the power stroke, and sometimes when another piston hits its power stroke as the crank is suddenly pulled away from the crank. The bearing isnt really a bearing like you would think in the sense of a wheel bearing, but its more of a race that rides around a smoothed portion of the crank.

But what I keep scratching my head over is the way this one works.. In that specific RPM range. I've seen a lot of 5.7l vortecs with spun bearings and usually right from start up and through the range, you will hear the knock.

I don't know if running synthetic would help at all. I suppose really all we can do at this point is wait until the wear increases and we have something more concrete to work with. It's not like I can do with my old chev and dodge and just pull the oil pan and check the bottom of each rod for play. Not so simple when dealing with warranty covered bits..
    The fact that it occurs within a specific RPM range leads me to believe something else starts vibrating, due to sympathetic harmonics. I think a piece of metal is warming up, in doing so expands and vibrates at the frequency generated by the engine in that RPM range.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi everyone, gonzagnr mentioned Renault has a problem with rod bearings and it made me think about an experience i had with a nissan car. It was in 2005, about a year after receiving a 1995 Maxima Automatic from my dad. (I know, before Nissan/Renault Alliance, and Maxima's were still built in Japan)

Beautiful engine(VQ30DE). But it blew at 320 000 km. After swapping the engine i took the old one apart and found that the 5th? cylinder rod bearing (crank side) had blown out (I was still able to drive it to my destination 15k away when it happened) There was no indication there was a problem although the engine bay was very well insulated from the cabin. But when it happened it sounded like a piston could fly through the hood at any moment.

I don't pretend to know anything about whats going on with your cars, (although i could imagine how stressful it could be) I just hope my story lightens the mood a bit on this thread...

Better you get problems now under warranty than in 10 years

Thanks
    About the spun rod bearing at 320k km thts an awesome reliability.
    our march/micras are having rod bearing problems since 0 km...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Looks like my car was built right at the same time as Anonymous'. (4/14)
    Finally found the data plate...right there in front of me lol, a trick of the light in my garage made it near invisible lol!
    Anyway, it's the same except for colour/transmission/axle numbers...

So, I will be listening carefully for engine noise
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Enough please. NOt every one has the English as mother tong. And juging someone's age by the way they write is not too precise either.

We are all part of the same gang, Micra owners, and we should help each others. This fighting is not helping anyone. And if there is a problem like that, I am very greatfull for people like them to report it here so that I now know to watch for it and know how to deal with it.

I am a French lady so in the future pardon my bad English.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Since you asked, my paycheque comes from the good people of Toronto when they pay their electric bill, not from Nissan, and judging from your shameful use of the English language, you probably shouldn't be telling people to start "Studing" (sic).
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

Johnskers (11-16-2014),MetroMPG (11-15-2014),Robm6981 (11-15-2014)

Thanks

calm please ... again

Merci, dani3d. Bien dit. (Et votre anglais est beaucoup mieux que mon francais!)

---

I will say this again:

calm please

Guys, this is clearly frustrating for the owners who are experiencing the noise and don't have an answer, but let's keep things civil in here. (Language, etc.)

Thanks.
    FYI, I have removed some recent posts and edited others that were inflammatory/insulting. There's absolutely no need for that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    another guy on the versa forum with the knock on a 2014 versa with 300 miles.