Thread: Squirrel or Rat entry into car

Thanks

Squirrel or Rat entry into car

I carry around shelled and unshelled peanuts in my Micra. This morning, I found that the bags have been eaten through and someone ate dinner in my trunk area. What I need to know is if it is normal to have an opening on the left side rear near the bottom if you are looking into the car. It is a perfect circle about 3 (?) inches across and I have never noticed it before... through the metal and the carpeting there. I wonder if it was covered and if I can keep the towel I stuffed into it there or should it be "open" for some reason. Any help much appreciated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-13-2024)

Thanks
    Most cars have that if its what im thinking of....trunk area around lowest point..it SHOULD have a 3" dia rubber bung in it....has the bung come out?....it should not be open to atmosphere.!! every car i ever had had that...not sure if its meant as a drain if required or a necessity of the metal stamping process

somewhere in the rear of the car is a vent with a flap and hopefully a rodent screen so when you close the doors it doesnt pressurize the car....EVERY car has that

so the answer is it does not need to be open (stuff towel, but i would buy a bung....it THEORY at home depot but id be tempted to pay 20 dollars for an OEM nissan bung...lol

or with some ingenuity and 2 small pieces of wood or yogurt container tops and a bolt....it could cost nothing

footnote:

when i was 4years old the mouse ate my macoroni art i left in the 1955 morris minor footwell..the mouse lived in the car i think,my parents are big environmentalists,it never fazed them,sometimes we saw the mouse, but not often. I think they took it as an honour the mouse trusted them to drive him around!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 03-08-2024 at 07:45 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-13-2024)

Thanks
    Cleaned back very thoroughly, this morning, what we now think is a rat entered on the other side, eating through the fabric. I live in a condo and Strata will contact a pest control company. I am now parked on the street instead of in my carport space at the back. I am also going to go somewhere and see if they can put my car up on a hoist to see if they can figure out how Mister Rat is getting in. Most of the fabric is covered with gorilla tape now (wish I had the gorilla to scare the rat).

Thanks for you reply.... this was really hard to explain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    there shouldnt be somewhere the outside and inside of the car is separated by fabric..maybe he's trying to get OUT after he ate the nuts and is too fat to fit through the 3" hole....lol

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-13-2024)