Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: adding keyless entry / remote power locks to Micra S

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

DIY: adding keyless entry / remote power locks to Micra S

Twice i locked my keys In the car :-) so yesterday I installed keyless entry for the front doors and the trunk....

Aftermarket Kit from Ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Door-Power...item33952f008a

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 4549
Size:  45.5 KB

Installation took me and a friend of mine about 4 hours, it is good for a person who is good with building or repairing (I think common sense is all you need).

Some draw backs, both front doors you can't lock or unlock from inside (disconnected that was the only way to make the kit to work).

Hardest part was running the wires and taking internal panels off.

Any questions feel free to email me, or ask here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyedegha For This Useful Post:

lbarouf (01-11-2015),MetroMPG (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this info!

Moved to its own DIY thread for more attention.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyedegha View Post
    Twice i locked my keys In the car :-) so yesterday I installed keyless entry for the front doors and the trunk....

Aftermarket Kit from Ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Door-Power...item33952f008a

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 4549
Size:  45.5 KB

Installation took me and a friend of mine about 4 hours, it is good for a person who is good with building or repairing (I think common sense is all you need).

Some draw backs, both front doors you can't lock or unlock from inside (disconnected that was the only way to make the kit to work).

Hardest part was running the wires and taking internal panels off.

Any questions feel free to email me, or ask here.
    So, how did you manage to lock your keys inside?

Thanks
    For those looking at a simpler and less expensive method of not locking their keys in the car, try a pull apart key ring, available at Canadian TIre and other retailers.

You get a second key cut, and place it on one of the rings. The other ring contains the original key and your other keys. You detach the car key only side upon entering the vehicle and always use that when running the car. That way, if you leave your key in the ignition accidentally, you have another copy in your pocket to open the door. Plus you're always wearing out a copy of the key, not the original. It's also handy if you need to lock and leave the car running at -40, though obviously that's bad for the environment, and you're risking someone breaking in and driving away with your vehicle (though a steering wheel club can help slow them down a bit).

I got the idea from a tow truck driver. I had a lot of keys at the time, so the driver advised me to get a pull-apart key chain to reduce the weight of the keys on the ignition; he said the weight could damage the ignition lock tumblers over time; other sources on the web confirm this.

Does the key in the upper Micra trims with the integrated start have some kind of security chip embedded that prevents the door locks from turning when the key is physically in the lock and no matching chip? If not, even those with keyless entry could place a cut copy of the key on the non-starting chain; that way, you have a copy of the key if you leave the key with the unlock button in the ignition. If the ignition system does not key to a chip on the key on the upper trims, you could use the cut key as the starter key, and keep the original key with the keyless entry buttons on the non-starter ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Another idea is to just keep a cut copy of your key in your wallet.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Another idea is to just keep a cut copy of your key in your wallet.
    This is what I do. Get a ''dumb'' key cut at the dealer. Cut off all the plastic crap and tape it to a card in your wallet.

Just make sure you don't try starting the car with it, or it will trigger the anti theft system... car won't start until it's reset by dealer.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aftica For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-25-2014)

Thanks
    That's a good idea!

Are you speaking from experience about the dealer reset?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That's a good idea!

Are you speaking from experience about the dealer reset?
    The dealer warned me about it when I asked them to cut me the cheap key.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So, those are regular actuators. Technically, I should be able to use any car alarm and add actuators, and get car starter and alarm that will lock the doors?

I don't understand why the inside lock mechanism had to be removed/bypassed and can't work anymore. What was the issue or in the way?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, but wanted to let you know that I too have installed remote keyless entry on my 2015 Micra S. I love it! I embrace a rather minimalistic approach to my car, but the keyless entry has been a wonderful addition.