Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Washing and Car Washes

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Washing and Car Washes

I've had my black Micra SV since May and was told by the dealership to only use touch less car washes.

How do you wash your Micra and how often? Any tips?

Thanks
    A bucket with simple green car wash and water, a peanut microfiber sponge, garden hose with selectable spray pattern, squeegee, and microfiber towel. I set the spray nozzle on "Jet" for the pre-wash rinse to get rid of big chunks of dirt, making sure to get into the wheel wells and underbody, then working from front to back and bottom up, I wash then rinse each section with the spray nozzle on the "Shower" setting. Once it's washed and rinsed, I use my squeegee to clear the water from the windows and mirrors, then I follow up with drying the rest of the car off with the microfiber towel. After it's dried, I open the hatch and doors and use the towel to wipe around the hatch and door openings. Sometimes I use spray tire foam on the tires.

I wash it when it gets dirty, and typically late in the evening so it's always being washed in the shade. The car is quick and easy to wash, I don't think it'd be worth it to take it through a car wash. I think that, in the winter months, I'll take it to the self-wash car bays to rinse the salt off on a regular basis. I keep it parked in the garage so it can stay clean for a long time, but sometimes I have to drive on muddy and dirty construction sites, in which case I might need to wash it a couple of times a week.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welcome, adavid861!

Congrats on the car, and I think I'd avoid non-touchless washes too.

I'm with Alpha: a gentle hand-wash is quick 'n' easy (if you have a place to do it).

What part of the country are you in?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hand wash.. Carwashes typically use a recycled water system to reduce the amount of water they draw out of the city. So the dirty water passes through a filtration system and oil/water seperator and it launches the mostly clean water at the next one. The problem is, how often is the filter cleaned, and how good is the system?

The one we have at work is marginal at best. You can always see horendous water spots on the cars afterwords. The car is clean. And the dirt blasted at the paint is clean dirt, but still dirt, none the less.

Bucket of gentle car wash cleaner and a soft cloth or sponge is best. Nice gentle stream of water from the hose.

If your stuck at an appartment, A manual wash might be best. I dont like the automatics at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I just washed my car last night, pretty much like what AlphaMicra suggested, but instead of the sponge, i have a second micro-fiber towel. i usually go from front - back, top to bottom.. Not sure why you suggested bottom - top. I just used gentle dish washing detergent.

Anyone has instruction on waxing the car? is it really necessary? i have never waxed my previous cars in the past.

Thanks

Thanks
    Micro fiber mits with a normal hose is best bet. All car washes use recycled water that carries dirt, and the chemicals used are much more aggressive than a by hand car wash soap. Before waxing use a claybar on your vehicle to remove grader lash and debris.
    SMUTT155

Thanks
    I was told not to wax my car by the dealer due to the protective coating they have on it and to not use automatic washes that include wax treatment. It beads so nicely after a wash.
    I'm sure years down the road it will be fine to wax the car. It really makes your car look so much better. Just lots of elbow grease!

I wash it when I can, usually every other week, more if it's dirty, but at a wand wash. There's a hose here, shut off for winter, but I'm sure the condo would not approve, nor the owner right beside the hose. If I could, hand wash is my first choice.

Thanks
    well.. when i wash it a few times ago.. there was a woman that came to tell me that I am not allowed to use the hose.. I told her, i read the condo rules, none talks about the hose. If you do not like it, tell the admin to come down here and say it to my face... nothing happens..

Thanks
    Crap and BS everywhere you go! Hope it's not 'that' woman, and did you get your blocks in your outside spot to keep her out!?

Thanks
    No actually. maybe later.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to micra2080 For This Useful Post:

Wynter (03-04-2016)