Thread: Acura EL owner considering a Micra (timing chain problem resolved?)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Acura EL owner considering a Micra (timing chain problem resolved?)

I'm researching for a new small car. I'm original owner of 2003 Acura 1.7 el premium with 39k (correct 39,000) on odometer to sell or trade in. Looking at Yaris (bit dull but reliable), Mazda2 (really smart looking) and now the Micra which seems to be the smallest of all which is exactly what I want. Small and fun to drive around the city. Also checked Rio and most friends have advised I avoid Kia and Hyundai. Must say that Rio, fully loaded, is impressive but track record is important if I need a car to last 10+ years.

I have read a lot about Micra but it is all OLD problems, primarily relating to the Timing chain stretching. Apparently it was a collaboration with Renault.

HAS THE TIMING CHAIN problem finally been resolved on the import micra. I read that Japan customers never had this problem, it seemed to be Euro/UK cars that suffered this.

MLR/Lou

Thanks
    Hi, MLR -

39k on your 2003 Acura! That's remarkable. Can I buy your Micra from you in about 10 years? Are you considering manual or automatic?

HAS THE TIMING CHAIN problem finally been resolved on the import micra.
    That's the first I've heard of the problem. You could research the North American Versa sedan to find your answer because the Micra uses the same 1.6L engine that's used in that car (since 2011 or 2012).

Welcome to the forum!

(Hope you don't mind I moved your post to a new thread where it'll get more eyeballs on it.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Never heard of any timing chain problems with any Micra, but I have heard of rust problems with the Acura EL...just my own personal experience, I'm certainly no expert.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My car is rust free and I attribute this to the undercoat/rust proofing I paid for when I purchased the car at Downtown Acura.

Thanks
    MetroMPG I can certainly put you on a waiting list . . . but it will be for a 10 year old 2014 Versa Note SL with CVT, still interested LOL. My Acura buyer asked first so he's top of the list.

After testing both cars I had to accept the practicalities of my life and chose the slightly larger car.

Thanks
    OK, thanks anyway.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the new car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MLR (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Note is a good choice. I would've got that myself if it wasn't for the Micra and the fact that I drove one in the 90's. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing...

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MLR (08-03-2014)