Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan may have miscalculated... (manual vs. automatic demand)

Thanks
    Profit margins would be better on the automatic. I don't believe for a minute that, given the economies of scale, an automatic transmission would cost any more money to build into a car than a manual transmission, but car manufacturers can charge extra for it because it's what the market will bear.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I sent a note to Nissan today asking if they'll share info with us on the question of auto vs. manual demand, projected vs. actual.

Will report back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I poked Nissan again on this topic. (They've become a little less responsive since the car launched... I suppose because we're just an owner/enthusiast forum, not a major media outlet.)

The funny thing: in Mexico and much of Central & South America, the Micra (March) only comes with the manual transmission (and 1.6L). So it's not like they would have a shortage of 5-speed gearboxes down there at the factory in Aguascalientes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It's an extra $1000 profit on a car with razor thin profit margins; perhaps it's the only profit they'll be able to make. I wouldn't blame them for keeping quiet about the short supply of 5 speed Micra's if this was the case. Honestly, I would've paid extra for a proper 5 speed over the 4 speed slushbox, but it's a well-known fact that the sheeple masses are convinced that automatic is the way to go and makes a car worth more. Wouldn't it be something if an automatic Micra cost less to manufacture than a 5 speed, AND Nissan was charging an extra grand?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Could very well be. They definitely don't want people buying the base S anyway.

Thanks
    We picked up a base auto, it was the first and only one the dealership had. We even got a discount cause it had been out on 2-3 test drives (one was ours).