Thread: Brake drums squealing, should I replace shoes?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Brake drums squealing, should I replace shoes?

I have a 2015 Micra with the rear brakes squealing when I come to a stop. I've seen a spray on brake cleaner can fix squealing but also that it is a sign of a time to replace the shoes. Since owning the car and driving for nearly 50,000km I don't believe any replacement parts on the rear brakes have ever been done. Given the history below, is it likely that new shoes will be the fix?

- Bought at 53,000km
    - Papers list rear brakes as "80%"
    - Had a full brake service at 93,000km, only charge was 'labor' so presumably shoes were determined as 'good'
    - Passed MVI (road inspection) at 94,000km
    - During inspection noted that squealing noise which was present at this time was due to a "ridge in drum" that could be "grinded out for about $200"
    - Car currently at about 97,000km

I don't want to replace the shoes if not needed or if I do replace them, I don't want this "ridge in drum" to be the actual issue. I just have my doubts on the ridge as it came from a garage that since I've not been particularly happy with work done on my other vehicles and haven't returned to them.

Thanks
    there is probably a bunch of dust and a ridge at 100k, you might get 150 out of rears but i would service rear brakes and replace shoes,if you open up the drums its worth replacing shoes at your mileage...you COULD take the drums off and dremel tool ridge off yourself..while you replace shoes...or get new drums and shoes....i'm more of a dremel guy,i don't think i've ever replaced a drum or disc with a new one, the seasoned cast iron is generally better than the new disc(or drum) you buy that will warp.

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!