Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLaDOS :: 2015 Nissan Leaf SV (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    GLaDOS
    Nissan
    Leaf SV
    Black
    Single speed constant ratio

Not my Micra, but still part of my garage. I thought I would add it since I got a lot of response regarding the Leaf in my introduction post.

I realize this is not a Micra, so a mod could delete this entry to keep the forum Micra-oriented.

Modifications

80 kW (110 hp), 280 N·m (210 ft·lb) synchronous motor

•  
    Comments: 11 / Views: 16934
    Thanks
    Dont delete it.. Its uhmmm. Err.. An electric micra.. Yeah. Yeah.. Thats it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

goog1986 (10-16-2015),LilGeckos (10-16-2015)

Thanks
    If a moderator has their firefly up I think a Leaf is fine
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo micra View Post
    If a moderator has their firefly up I think a Leaf is fine
    Yeah....and my Juke is on here as well, so it is all good

Thanks
    I was actually going to ask him to post it. It's an interesting car! (Not to mention its purchase directly led to a new Micra owner joining us.)

The Firefly needs no defense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Question though:

While I appreciate the car itself, all these years later I still can't get over its styling. It's just too weird. Too much Renault DNA in there?

Also, design/styling related: it's got a poor drag coefficient for an EV: 0.28, if I recall. EV's should be trying to be more slippery than that since it has a direct impact on most EV drivers' biggest concern: range. Tesla's Model S is excellent at 0.24 and shows that an EV can be sexy and slippery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Question though:

While I appreciate the car itself, all these years later I still can't get over its styling. It's just too weird. Too much Renault DNA in there?

Also, design/styling related: it's got a poor drag coefficient for an EV: 0.28, if I recall. EV's should be trying to be more slippery than that since it has a direct impact on most EV drivers' biggest concern: range. Tesla's Model S is excellent at 0.24 and shows that an EV can be sexy and slippery.
    Oh yeah, the styling is terrible, it looks like a surprised frog, but I always say that the best thing with the Leaf is that when you are driving it, you don't have to look at it! It is mainly the front that looks bad, I think the rest of the car is alright.

I think the drag coefficient is what's killing its range when you get on the highway (as soon as you drive faster than 95 km/h, the energy economy drops almost exponentially). I hope they will do better with the next one and I am no expert in drag coefficient, but I think you are somewhat limited with a hatchback compared to a sedan. I would be interested to compare the Leaf to the Kia Soul EV on that point, the Soul's drag cx can't be any better...

As for the Tesla, it is the car that made me consider EVs in the first place and since I couldn't afford it, the Leaf was the only other option available. The Focus EV is impossible to get, the Soul EV has a 5-6 months waiting list, the i-Miev looks worse than the Leaf and doesn't have as much range, the i3 is too expensive and all the other options have some sort of gas engine (Volt, C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi) and I wanted to go full electric.
    2015 Nissan Micra SV a.k.a. Judy
    2015 Nissan Leaf SV a.k.a. GLaDOS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goog1986 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-27-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goog1986 View Post
    I always say that the best thing with the Leaf is that when you are driving it, you don't have to look at it!
    That's funny!

There are some rumours going around that the next gen Leaf is going to be unveiled as a styling exercise this week (Tokyo Auto Show?), but the teaser image I saw looks amostl exactly like the Nissan Sway concept car, which is supposed to represent the next gen Micra, not the Leaf (though perhaps they'll be similar).

I think you are somewhat limited with a hatchback compared to a sedan. I would be interested to compare the Leaf to the Kia Soul EV on that point, the Soul's drag cx can't be any better...
    I agree - the Kia wouldn't be much different.

But a hatchback ("2-box" style) can be very aerodynamically efficient. Prius for example (the 2016 has Cd 0.24). Audi A2 was another good one (0.25). And check the Mercedes Bionic "Boxfish" design. Extremely aero efficient (but somewhat strange looking).

Name:  280px-Mercedes-Benz_bionic_car.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  11.8 KB

If my car is going to look strange, I don't mind if it's for optimized aerodynamics. If it's purely for style (which doesn't significantly help with aero, eg. Leaf), I'm not as happy about it.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've been looking at i-mievs lately. I REALLY wish they'd have put more thought into aero. It is definitely an ugly car, but I could live with it if it was aerodynamic, but it really isn't. I still may get one, but meh it is ugly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've been looking at i-mievs lately. I REALLY wish they'd have put more thought into aero. It is definitely an ugly car, but I could live with it if it was aerodynamic, but it really isn't. I still may get one, but meh it is ugly.
    i would highly recommend you avoid the imiev. yes it's cheaper than any EV, but at a steep cost: it makes leaf's range look amazing.

the new leaf is coming out soon with improved 100miles range., btw.

on the styling: i always thought Nissan was one of the worst offenders in the uggo department. Altho after the Mirai and the new Prius, i think Toyota got jealous and is gunning for the #1 spot of the Ugly-rrific Competition lol