Thread: Front End Clunking Noise

Thanks

Front End Clunking Noise

I thought I would share the solution to my weird front end clunking/clicking noise, possibly coming from the drivers side.
    Driving down the road I could hear a tapping/clunking noise that I could also make occur by rapidly steering Left then Right/Left which would start rocking the car. Also with the car parked if I grabbed the open window frame I could hear a click noise when I rocked the car sideways.
    I read about the bushings failing on the stabilizer bar & during my last Nissan dealer service visit they claimed
    my lower control arm bushings were cracked & that was the cause of the clunking & quoted me 1100$ (actually more
    like 1200$ with alignment + tax)
    Something told me to get a 2nd opinion so I took the car to Kal Tire & they found that yes my control arm bushings were a lit cracked but the noise was caused by the drivers side Stabilizer Connecting Rod.
    The parts were 75$ each so I had both changed for 300$ with labour & tax.
    Problem fixed!
    Those control arm bushings can wait until another day (That's the part that looks like a boomerang)

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    To know if its stabilizer bars shake car left to right while touching stabilizer ends 2 ends at each side that way you can clearly feel the clank. Replacement is super easy no special tools needed. Also i would highly suggest to change stabilizer bushings too that one isnt pleasant job to do because of very hard accessibility and angled cv adapters for socket to get the right angle. But if u r replacing stabilizer bars then go ahead and replace both bushings too because if bushings are sightly worned then they will keep putting extra tension on bars so u have to change them frequently.

For control arm its heavily overpriced i would suggest buying arms from rockauto for cheap and taking to garage mechanic to change. He doesnt have to be specialized in japanese cars to be able to do that control arm is standard job to do on almost all cars.

Thanks
    i have squeaking noise going over bump..been there from day zero..think its the front end.somewhere ..ive had those end links go on my mazda protege ...sound like hell....cheap fix though
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I had my front tires off to rotate the tires & also inspect my front brakes & grease the slider pins.
    I had a look at the lower control bushings & they looked fine to me & it wasn't until I zoomed in
    to the picture I took with flash on I could see actual cracks in the rubber at the base
    My car was built 2016, purchased 2017 with 80,000 kms.
    I suspect that the minor cracking is present on most "older" Micra's & will just monitor them for now.

Attached Images Attached Images