Thread: No Power Steering Fluid Fill Reservoir?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

No Power Steering Fluid Fill Reservoir?

I cannot see where power steering fluid is added when looking under the hood. The manual doesn't mention anything about it and I can't find anything on YouTube. I'm starting to think there isn't one? If so, how is the power steering fluid filled and if I want to flush it, is this a task for a shop/dealer to do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farquea View Post
    I cannot see where power steering fluid is added when looking under the hood. The manual doesn't mention anything about it and I can't find anything on YouTube. I'm starting to think there isn't one? If so, how is the power steering fluid filled and if I want to flush it, is this a task for a shop/dealer to do?
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Micra is electric power steering which doesn't use fluid, therefore no fluid reservoir.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Micra is electric power steering which doesn't use fluid, therefore no fluid reservoir.
    Electric power steering is something new to me. Does it require any sort of maintenance do you know? Interestingly, I went into my dealership and last week and was sold a bottle of Nissan Electronic Power Steering fluid, so now i'm curious what you'd do with that....

Thanks
    This is confusing but from what I can see EPS does not require any fluids. This is what I see when I google "does Nissan electric power steering have fluid" from multiple sources.

1. In electronic power steering (EPS) systems, you may find an illuminated EPS light instead. As EPS systems do not use fluid to provide steering assistance, there are no fluid levels to check.

2. Electric systems do not require power steering fluid to work and only draw power when needed, making them more fuel efficient than hydraulic systems.

3. Electronic power steering uses no fluids so there are no hoses, no pump, no leaks and no maintenance. Also, power comes from the battery and charging system rather than a belt-driven pump, so electric steering requires less horsepower from the engine (for a slight gain in fuel economy and performance).

I can't explain the electronic power steering fluid. Maybe ask the dealer where it's supposed to go.

Thanks
    Here is a picture of the electric power steering in the Micra. You can see it just by looking up under the dash. The big red wire goes into it. Sticker is on the actual motor. Connects to the steering where that universal joint is. Looks to be using a simple gear drive to connect to the steering. This would not need power steering fluid at all as Richard has stated. It should be also very reliable since it is inside the car protected from the elements. It only "assists" during low speed as far as I can tell. Probably 40kph or lower. More assist the slower you are going. The cars computer controls how much depending on speed. Picture taken on October 10, 2015 when everything was new and shiny.

Name:  Electric Assist.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  61.7 KB

Thanks
    Yes, we have electric power steering in our cars that require very little maintenance aside from normal wear & tear steering components... You can go ahead & return that power steering fluid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...