Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ALLOY RIMS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wark View Post
    Does upgrading to 16-inch alloy rims improve the driving experience? I am using 15-inch steel rims, not sure if buying used Micra 16-inch alloy will improve driving.
    Improve driving? no not really. I use both and don't see much difference. I do see a huge difference with the tire though. I just bought Michelin X-Ice snow and I hate them. It feels like driving with 4 big balloons under my car. No control, very dangerous in curves, and unstable. I will do whatever I can to return those.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, I am asking cause I am using the same winter tires and the car is unable to break without sliding for a few feets on a flat road covered in snow. I have to park the car and walk home cause I don't feel safe driving on wet snow. I thought maybe upgrading to 16-inch alloy rims might make a difference. My mechanic said the car's wheelbase is too short and too light to drive in snow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wark View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I am asking cause I am using the same winter tires and the car is unable to break without sliding for a few feets on a flat road covered in snow. I have to park the car and walk home cause I don't feel safe driving on wet snow. I thought maybe upgrading to 16-inch alloy rims might make a difference. My mechanic said the car's wheelbase is too short and too light to drive in snow.
    That's total bull****. I had Nokian winter tires for 8 years on 15'' wheels and never had a problem to brake or taking curves at high speed. If you are using the Michelin X-ice snow, get the Nokian hakkapellita instead if you can.

I could not find the 185/55/R16 in the Nokian so I went for the Michelin, big mistake. I should have installed the Nokian 195/55/16.

Before that, I was using Nokian Hakkapellita in 185/60/R15 on 15'' steel rim and that was great. I could go through a huge amount of packed snow (like 2 feet of compacted snow) that the plower had left behind without getting stuck while getting out of my driveway. I could turn corners fast and the stability control would kick in a bit but the car would remain on course exactly as on a dry road.

This year I wanted to get rid of the very rusty wheels and either buy 16'' mags or plastidip my 16'' SR rim, so I needed 16'' winter tires.

A women who live in front of my house was getting stuck in 2 inches of snow in the middle of the street with her Micra! We had to get out and push her car, then she would more a few feet and get stuck again. That was on cheap chineese tires.

Since the Micra is light, the winter tires are very important and I direly regret buying the Michelin X-Ice Snow.
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-06-2022 at 07:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (11-06-2022)

Thanks
    Perhaps its because our winter conditions are different out here in the lower mainland of BC, but I have had good success with my Michelin X-Ice Snow winter tires, and was going places in my Micra that I perhaps should have not gone last winter(Ive only done one winter with my Micra) After reading about your experiences I wish perhaps I had investigated further and bought Nokia's instead.....but the Michelins were on sale at a really good price after the season was over. I'll keep an eye out for the Nokia's.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.6 L/100 km ... 33.0 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    Perhaps its because our winter conditions are different out here in the lower mainland of BC, but I have had good success with my Michelin X-Ice Snow winter tires and was going places in my Micra that I perhaps should have not gone last winter(I've only done one winter with my Micra) After reading about your experiences I wish perhaps I had investigated further and bought Nokia's instead.....but the Michelins were on sale at a really good price after the season was over. I'll keep an eye out for the Nokia's.....
    Well today was a little bit colder and they were better. Softer than my Hakkapellita and the steering wheel does not respond quite as fast but I am getting used to it. I have no experience with x-ice during the winter so I will see and I have a good experience with the Nokian to compare. Our winters are awful, lots of snow, freezing rain, slush, extreme cold, anything goes.

Lots of people here are using X-Ice and they are supposed to be good.

Thanks
    I see you're in Quebec . I think you're allowed studded tires in that province

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSlow View Post
    I see you're in Quebec. I think you're allowed studded tires in that province
    I don't really like them. They are noisy and would damage our driveway (brick type). They are best suited for people living in the country, not in the city. Plus it can take longer to break with those on a dry or wet road, and we have these often in winter.

Thanks
    Any pictures of your car? Any upgrades

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSlow View Post
    Any pictures of your car? Any upgrades
    I decided to plastidip my SR mag wheels in black. It looks good and will protect the wheels for the winter. I like it so much in black that I will probably leave plastidip on it like forever. In spring, I will buy either the Fast Wheel Orbit or the DAI Frantic in 16''.The manufacturers confirmed that these wheels will fit my car in 16'', but not in the 15''.

Name:  IMG_3099s.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  98.8 KB

New front brake (coated, will not rust)

Name:  IMG_3091.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  90.4 KB